Egress Window Framing/Trim

Old 01-07-14, 07:13 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Egress Window Framing/Trim

Hello,
Could someone please offer some advice on how to frame and, later down the road, trim my egress window? The problem I'm having is what to do with the steel frame around the window. Should I start framing around the outside edge of the steel frame or put the king studs over the steel frame? I would prefer to wrap the window in drywall but would go with jamb extensions if that's better. Where would you advise I place the jamb extension though?

Pictures:
Name:  Photo-1_7_14,-8.44.31-AM-2.jpg
Views: 1665
Size:  20.9 KB

Name:  Photo-1_7_14,-8.44.31-AM-1.jpg
Views: 1870
Size:  20.9 KB

Thanks!

Last edited by mightyguins; 01-07-14 at 08:03 AM.
Old 01-07-14, 07:36 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,648 Upvotes on 1,476 Posts
You aren't going to get too many people to respond if they have to sign up for a new account just to look at your pictures. A better way to upload them is to click on "go advanced" when you create your next reply.... (using the "quick reply" box below...) then when you click on the "image" icon to insert images into your reply, it will ask you where the images are on your computer and it will then upload them.

Once we see the pics, we'll try to offer some advice.

If this is a basement window, its not considered an egress "fire escape window" unless its clear opening is 5.7 sq ft. It must also be within 44" of the floor or it is too high. Anything smaller (or higher) and the room does not qualify to be a bedroom by code.

Old 01-07-14, 07:57 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks, I updated the first post. It's definitely an egress.

Old 01-07-14, 08:09 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,648 Upvotes on 1,476 Posts
The pictures may be public... it's just that to view them it seemed like you needed to "sign up" first.

Huh. Freaky. Looks like a vinyl replacement window inside an old steel window frame.

I'm guessing you will be putting rigid ISO foam against the CMU, then framing up a wall in front of it? I would definitely bury the steel frame. IMO you could line up the framing with the steel frame... then make a plywood "jamb" and line the rough opening with that. The plywood jamb would extend out over the steel frame and get you closer to the vinyl window. The plywood jamb will just give you some wood to nail/screw to later.

I'm not a big fan of drywall jambs at all (the joint next to the window will always crack and if water comes in it will immediately trash them). But plenty of people do that and there is no right or wrong. IMO if you ARE going to use drywall jambs, plan on caulking the drywall to the vinyl window and then immediately cover that wet caulk with a base shoe trim on all four sides.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: