Quick basement finishing/electrical question

Old 01-08-14, 09:37 AM
Quick basement insulation/electrical question

Hi all,

I'm in the very early stages of planning my basement renovation and I have a quick electrical/insulation question.

I have a standard poured concrete foundation. Some of the existing wiring (from breaker panel to first floor) runs along the top of the foundation wall, adjacent to the sill plate.

In the picture below (not my basement) it's obvious where the both the flat portion of the exterior wall and the face of the basement wall itself can be easily insulated but this leaves some of the foundation (adjacent to sill plate) without any insulation. I don't believe you can just cover this area up with rigid foam. Is there a solution here or do people just accept the small, non-insulated portion?

Last edited by KCnoct; 01-08-14 at 11:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-14, 02:06 AM
I would insulate it with rigid foam board. Better that, than to let it serve as a heat sink, costing you $$$ while trying to keep the room warm.

Some insulation experts may be along shortly to make more informed suggestions.

Old 01-21-14, 12:28 PM
bump?

I'm concerned about how acceptable it is to run rigid foam (or can foam) over electrical wiring.

Old 01-21-14, 04:48 PM
Don't see much difference between covering electrical wires with rigid foam board or with sheet rock, as both are easily removable should someone need to get to the wiring for any reason. Canned foam is a different situation altogether, as once the stuff is in place, it's next to impossible to remove it easily. If you ever want to expose the wiring at a later date for any reason, you'll be talking to yourself. Cutting it away with a sharp tool runs a good risk of cutting through the insulation, possibly causing an electrical short.