Serious Mold Problem

Old 01-10-14, 03:12 PM
Serious Mold Problem

The thread is too old to add to but this is where the thread starts:
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...sher-leak.html

It's been 3 years since I posted about this. The wetness was not caused by the dishwasher.

In the past 3 years I've had 2 companys come to try and find the source of the moisture thats causing the mold. Neither had any luck.
One guy said for around $1500 he could come, tear some walls down until he found the problem. The other company said for about $20,000 they would come and dig up under the house or something, etc. The prices were so high I tuned both of the companys out.

The mold begins in the front bedroom. I run 2 de-humidifiers in that bedroom and it seems to have kept the mold down until today.

My hot water heater is leaking. Two days ago my water heater began to leak. I'm having it replaced tomorrow. We've had the severe cold snap leaving lots of folks with broken pipes so tomorrow is the first they can replace it.

Today I found mold on the kitchen and living room walls. It is so humid in here it feels creepy.

I've read that homeowners insurance most times excludes mold.
But I did file a claim with my insurance company today.

I have replaced the gutters and down spouts. That hasn't helped.
I have to go now.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-14, 03:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Could be any of a hundred different things.
Need a lot more info.
Where's the mold forming. Not the just the room, ceiling, top of walls, bottom, inside walls, outside walls?
What type foundation.
How's it built. Brick, block, what type siding?
How old?
Any decks, patios or stoop up against the side of the house?
What type roof and soffit vents do you have?
Got a picture of the outside?

Old 01-11-14, 04:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
When you replaced the downspouts did you pipe the outlet away from the house? The further you can carry the water away from the house the better. The added moisture from the failed water heater probably surpassed the limits of your dehumidifier.

Old 01-11-14, 08:29 AM
Hi Dawter, don't you enjoy being a home owner .
The first step I would take is to pick up 3 or 4 low cost humidity meters. By placing them in different locations you may get an idea as to where the source of the moisture is. A forced air heating system may circulate the air rapidly, but it is a start and the heating season is not the worst for mold.

I'll attach a humidity/dew point calculator as humidity readings vary with temperature and need to be corrected to properly compare one space to another.

How old is the house and do you have any knowledge as to how it was built? We have one home not too far from me where they wrapped it in plastic before the siding and have never been able to control the mold, (15 years). House wrap has long been the standard or tar paper and both allow the walls of the house to dry to the outside. There will also be a vapor barrier under the drywall (often plastic) but that location is better.

Fill in as many of Joe's questions and we will return.

Bud
Temperature, Dewpoint, and Relative Humidity Calculator

Old 01-11-14, 08:59 AM
Here's a picture of the raised bed the previous owner built. I'm thinking this is trapping moisture and if I get rid of this the source of the mold will go away.
Name:  01102014011.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  38.4 KB

Old 01-16-14, 02:46 PM
I wrote the wrong words on that picture of the house. It should not say "Leaks."
All across the front of the house on the inside wall is where I found mold.

From the water heater leak I now have mold in 3 corners of the inside of the house. I filed a claim and the insurance guy came out today and looked at it and took a statement.

In 2007 before I bought the house I'd had an inspection done. I was reading it today and it says, "moisture is found in the crawlspace" and that it isn't a problem now but should be monitored.

All I want is this fixed but it costs too much money to even have someone find the source as it has everyone baffled who looks at it.

*sigh*

Old 01-16-14, 03:47 PM
Group Moderator
What's on the floor of the crawlspace?

Old 01-16-14, 04:26 PM
The reason there's mold in only 3 corners is because in the fourth corner which is the front left corner I have 2 dehumidifiers running.
There is only dirt on the headspace.
floor.

Old 01-17-14, 10:49 AM
Group Moderator
I would want a vapor barrier on the floor - you could be having an incredible amount of moisture coming up from the ground.

Old 01-17-14, 02:06 PM
Thank u mitch. I will look.into that.