Advice for mold disinfectant

Old 01-10-14, 08:43 PM
Advice for mold disinfectant

Hi

I have cladosporium and aspergillus in my attic. The cause seems to be poor ventilation and a small leak that I just discovered. Before I take care of the ventilation and the leak, I've been told by the roofers and a mold inspector to take care of the mold first.

I've been doing research on how to do this best, and I've come across a couple of different products to remove the mold before encapsulating the rafters, plywood, etc. MoldSTAT is one that keeps popping up, as well as Concrobium and MILGO. My problem is the space is not well ventilated - I have a thermostat-triggered roof fan and a single small cylinder roof vent, that's about it. My wife is also pretty sensitive to strong VOCs (bleach is out of the question). I'm looking for something with low or zero VOCs, if possible.

I've also seen that people recommend using something like Tea Tree Oil or vinegar. Any recommendations or experiences for which product works well and has limited VOCs and odor?

Also, if anyone has advice for what I can use to ventilate while I'm doing the work in the attic would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-14, 09:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What style roof is it?
Got a picture?
How much soffit venting do you have?
This is what we used when I was an exterminator.
BORACARE with MOLD-CARE

Old 01-11-14, 05:36 AM
Super Moderator
You could always temporarily hardwire the fan to be on all the time.

Old 01-12-14, 06:11 PM
That's my plan, to keep in on throughout the project and until any odors are gone.

Old 01-12-14, 06:16 PM
I'll work on a photo - it's a split level home, and this is over the 1-story part, it's a low-grade ridge - easy to walk up without leaning too far forward.

I have no soffit holes, which I just discovered while prepping for this project. I plan on having a roofer come and repair the leak, and take care of the soffits while he's at it. Then I'll install the baffles myself.

Do you recall if Boracare with Mold-Care had a heavy odor?

One other question I forgot to bring up - the attic has blown-in insulation. Do I need to be worried about the insulation getting too wet or damp when I spray on the disinfectant? I guess it wouldn't be bad if the insulation gets disinfected as well.

Old 01-12-14, 07:30 PM
I disagree with your roofers and mold inspectors about sequence because until your correct your attic ventilation you will not be able to remediate your mold problem. On top of that, are you aware that all manufacturers void the warranties if their roofing products are installed over improperly ventilated attic spaces?

Here is the sequence I suggest:
1. Correct the attic ventilation,
1a. Repair the roof
2. Remove all of the blown-in insulation. It is contaminated with mold and moisture.
3. Apply whatever mildewcide/fungicide you decide upon,
4. Thoroughly dry the attic area using forced air heat.
5. Install new insulation.

By the way, bleach doesn't really do much except on the surface and the treatment doesn't last after the bleach evaporates. I have used Mil-go with good results and it doesn't have any kind of odor. Some of the borate products, Tim-bor comes to mind, claim to be effective against tunneling insects and mold and mildew. Two bangs for your buck. If it really works that way.

Good luck with your project.

Old 01-12-14, 08:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Bora Care has no odor.
Timbor is the wrong product for this job.
What is the difference between Bora-Care and Timbor that makes the price of Bora-Care cost so much more?

Old 01-14-14, 07:20 PM
It looks like you guys are converging on Bora Care with Mold-Care
BORACARE with MOLD-CARE

Bora Care with Mold Care is around $120, and claims to cover 1250 sq ft (which is probably fine for my purposes).

MoldSTAT Plus (MoldSTAT Plus. EPA Registered - Kills mold and mildew.) is much cheaper, around $30, and claims to cover 2000 square feet.

The big difference seems to be that Bora Care also gets the insects, whereas MoldSTAT is only mold/mildew. Does it make sense that the $90 difference would be attributable to the insecticide? I've never had a bug problem (not saying I never will of course) so I'm trying to decide if I should shell out the extra cash and take care of both risks at once.

Old 02-16-14, 08:50 PM
I sprayed in the Bora Care with Mold-Care. Soaked the ceiling, rafters, and floor real good.

It's been a week and before I paint on the encapsulant layer (AfterShock) I want to make sure what I'm seeing is indication that Bora Care worked. Before I sprayed on, the green and black cladosporium and aspergillus was visible everywhere. Afterwards, a lot of the green was gone (particularly from where I laid the mildicide on real thick), but not everywhere, and the black is still present in a lot of places. Does this mean that the mold is dead but still there (where else is it going to go?), or that the disinfectant wasn't successful? If the mold is dead, if I don't bother to scrape/sand it off, can I just apply the AfterShock over the top of it?