Basement Walls Nightmare! Prep Project

Old 01-11-14, 10:09 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Basement Walls Nightmare! Prep Project

My house was built in 1935. I bought it just shy of two years ago. During these winter months, I would like to change my basement interior walls. Some walls currently have stucco applied to them and others have just plaster - and a hideous paint color.
The walls are peeling away and making a mess in the basement. The exposed concrete has efflorescence and I'm not sure how old the paint/stucco/plaster is.
My end goal is to have all my walls finished with DryLock (prep project) before having my brother install frames, insulation, electrical outlets and a few additional radiators (to keep the same character appeal of the rest of the house).
I do not know how to go about this. I really want to do the prep project myself.
Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Do I break away as much stucco as possible? Do I sand? Do I plaster on top of the old flaking stucco/plaster? Do I acid wash the walls? Do I get a shop-vac for cleaning the crevasses near the ceiling?
So many questions. I could use the direction from those who have had similar experience dealing with this.
Thank you in advance!
Name:  IMG_20130405_160330_205.jpg
Views: 597
Size:  19.4 KBName:  IMG_20130405_160405_473.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  19.5 KBName:  IMG_20130405_160523_065.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  23.0 KBName:  IMG_20130405_160427_480.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  31.3 KBName:  IMG_20130407_165844_231.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  20.4 KBName:  IMG_20130407_165711_327.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  25.7 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-14, 02:27 PM
Temporarily Suspended
The first thing that has to be done is to determine if there is a water problem, from the outside. Walk around the house & take a close look at the foundation. Look for hairline cracks, a bad pitch & bad rain gutters or downspouts. Don't do anything on the inside until you do that first.

Old 01-11-14, 02:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Once that's done I'd be thinking about getting rid of those old windows and replacing that old steel plumbing before it leaks, causes rust stains and plugs up.
Replace any old wiring and relocate it.
Do not even waste any time trying to fix those old walls.
For a finished basement you need points of egress. Check with your local zone office to see what's required.

Old 01-11-14, 02:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 118 Votes on 105 Posts
Just so you know - Drylok is for raw masonry [or recoating itself] It serves no purpose when applied over paint other than making the wall white. As the others have stated - any water issues are best addressed on the exterior.

almost forgot welcome to the forums!

Old 01-12-14, 01:48 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I have identified where the water is coming in from outside, creating the effluence and peeling. Side concrete stairwell has broken away from house. Fixing that first, yes.

As for the piping and electricity, those are not the reason for my post, but I appreciate the advice - noted.

Thanks for the note regarding the drylok. Drylok will be used on the other 6 walls that are exposed concrete. It's just these three walls that have the stucco/plaster.

I am not planning on replacing the recently installed glass block windows. I have a tuck under garage and my basement is compliant with code, not requiring any of my glass block windows to be replaced with an egress window.

Back to the walls nightmare - the subject of my post - can anybody else who has experience or knowledge about how to address these damaged walls provide advice?

Thank you.

Old 01-12-14, 04:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm not sure if I understand what you are wanting for a finish product

You can stucco the missing areas to match the rest. You need to remove all the loose first! You'd only need a bonding agent if the stucco is applied over paint. The new/raw stucco can be primed with either the drylok or a thinned down version of your finish paint.

As far as the missing plaster, I'd chip off the rest and install drywall over the lath. IMO that's a lot easier than applying a brown coat to the lath and then plaster over it. You could either leave it slick finish or texture the drywall to match the wall below.

Old 01-13-14, 11:31 AM
Awesome! Thank you marksr! This is helpful. I'm planning on doing framing, drywall, and painting. But, I'm not sure what I should do about the walls in their current state.
Again, I appreciate your thoughts.

Old 01-13-14, 01:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you are going to frame up a wall in front of the foundation walls, I wouldn't bother fixing them unless there are any cracks/holes.

Old 01-15-14, 02:33 PM
Just my 2cents on the efflorescence/possible moisture as i have had to deal with the same. Many people think that drylock or similar products will solve any potential basement moisture problem THEY WILL NOT the only way to eliminate is from the outside, drain,divert,seal etc. as stated. If any moisture issues should continue all your good work will deteriorate over time