Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Is this brightwall basement paneling? Is it hiding problems?

Old 01-14-14, 03:20 PM

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum so hopefully this is the right place to be posting. When I bought my current house in Michigan I was told the basement was professionally water proofed but the documentation was missing. It has always been dry so I never gave it too much thought but recently I have been looking for ways to anchor stuff to the walls and decided I should learn about my basement setup before I go taking anything down or drilling into the wall.

I tried asking google and from what I can tell it looks like I have brightwall panels? It is also clear on the cement floor that the perimeter around the wall was dug out at one time. From the pictures does this look like brightwall? If so does this system work? I am afraid the paneling maybe holding back water on the inside of the walls but the exterior of the walls could be deteriorating. I also noticed some of the fasteners are rusting which does not seem like a good sign.

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-14, 03:59 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Paneling is not waterproof, so I doubt that it is preventing water from entering. Look at the foundation from the outside. Are there any hairline cracks? Is the ground pitched correctly? Are the gutters & downspouts in good shape?