Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Foot prints on poyurethane painted floors? polish or clear coat ??

Old 01-22-14, 05:33 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I have concrete floors painted with a polyurethane paint. It look great, but it picks up footprints. With every single step! Just dust that brushes off easy.
I'm thinking about top coating it with a satin poly. I dd a test square, and it seemed to look and work well, but.... is there a better way? Mop and Glow or something?

Thanks
Brian

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-14, 05:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 193 Votes on 179 Posts
I would rub on Johnson's paste wax before I would ever poly over paint!

Old 01-23-14, 05:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
I'm not fond of applying poly over paint. Oil base poly can change the color of the paint [depend on color] Waterbased poly won't adhere well to the polyurethane floor coating. The only downside to using any type of wax is it would have to be removed before you can repaint [when that time comes]

Old 01-24-14, 07:44 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Are you sure that it's dust? Where is the dust coming from? Is it only when people enter from the outside? Is there a difference between shoes & sneakers. What happens if you wipe your feet on a mat first? I waxed floors for 23 years. Don't use mop & glow. That could present other problems.

Old 01-26-14, 07:31 AM
Its definitely dust. it brushes right off. The floor is a slate color with a satin finish. Every single time its stepped on, a print is left. every single time. It cleans right up, but its always going to have print all over the place if I leave it the way it is.

Old 01-26-14, 07:37 AM
The paint is polyurethane. I did a test area of poly clear over the poly paint, and it seemed to solve the footprint problem. So im talking about satin polyurethane clear coat OVER polyurethane paint. The poly paint is oil based, but it is definitely not as durable as clear poly. I guess what ever is added to give it color, weakens it.

Old 01-26-14, 07:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
The tint shouldn't weaken the coating any although a clear coating doesn't show wear as much as a paint does. It doesn't make any sense that a satin poly won't show the dust while a satin enamel does BUT if it works

Old 01-26-14, 07:45 AM
Temporarily Suspended
What happens if you wipe your feet or clean your shoes with a paper towel before you enter the room? Do you still see the dust? Either the dust is on your feet as you enter or it's there before you arrive. Are there any vents in the ceiling?

Old 01-26-14, 12:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 193 Votes on 179 Posts
Sounds like the problem is the dust, not the paint or the finish. How is another coating of any type going to help eliminate the dust? Sounds like you need an air filter, get your ducts cleaned or maybe change your furnace filters more often. Maybe there is another source for this dust that is coming from outside. Hepa filter vacuums help prevent recirculating dust when you vacuum.

Old 02-09-14, 02:10 PM
yea i'm going to clear coat it. Its not a problem with excessive dust, or inefficient air filters. My office is in a climate controlled medical office building. Its just a function of the finish and color. It just really shows dust. but the satin clear seems to solve the problem. From everyones response, it seems as if i have an unusual problem. I thought maybe someone would have come across this problem before.