Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Putting plastic in 80 year old CLEARLY did it themselves wanky crawl space

Old 01-26-14, 12:49 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Wanky as it's less than 12" on the North end; entrance is on South end. The posts are a combination of stacked rock/brick/cinder block; whatever they had available. There are tunnels dug around perimeter for pipe access. The entire space is an upanddown travesty.

At some point a vapor barrier was attempted and abandoned. How do I get a good plastic cover on this uneven mess?

Go ahead shake your head, I have, many times! In addition to insane profanity.

I have seen vapor barrier posts by moderator Chandler from N GA Mountains and would like more info.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-14, 01:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

could you posts some pics so we can better understand what you are dealing with - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Larry should be along shortly

Old 01-26-14, 01:23 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Yep, when younger, much younger, I had the golden opportunity to work under a house where, flat on my back, my nose hit the floor joists. Able to turn on my side in the bays only. So I can sympathize with you. I have heard it helps to position the plastic by slipping and taping it loosely over a long pole. Once it gets to a corner, you can slip the pole out. However with convoluted dirt space, it may be tough. I'll wait on pictures.
North Georgia, as in Young Harris, BTW.

Old 01-26-14, 01:32 PM
Blue Ridge.
I had pictures, but they seem to have, I don't know what happened to them. I'll get some up here shortly.

Old 01-26-14, 02:33 PM
Old 01-26-14, 02:41 PM
That should be a breeze. 24" in some places, like the mid wall. tip: hire a couple of Fannin County High school kids to do the work. They could use the money and you don't need to be under the house.

Old 01-26-14, 03:16 PM
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
Ditto on some young bodies. Often the high schools will have work study programs and have students available for work like this. It is job related.

My other thought would be to plan some walkways (crawl ways) down there so the plastic you install now will not get destroyed the first time some work is needed.

Bud

Old 01-26-14, 04:38 PM
Well, yes, there is plenty of room in the front 7' add-on section. Most of the rest is 4-12" with the very back all being about 4". The pictures really don't do it justice. The perimeter crawl area is actually less than 16" and the person that did the last bathroom repair put the pipes right in the middle of the crawl area. I'll give it some thought.
I have 6 mil black plastic. I think I recall it should overlap about 12". How far up the wall? I can't get anything up anywhere about the last 6-8' under the kitchen area. I opened and brushed the dirt off the current vents in the hopes of getting some cross ventilation. The area under the kitchen is in bad shape. Hoping I can wait a couple years to pull up the floor. I can feel it's in bad shape. Anyway, thanks

Old 01-26-14, 04:59 PM
Once you get the vents cleaned, close them again, 'cause winter ain't over. We have a few nights next week in the low teens. Run the plastic up as far as you can without blocking the vents. Don't forget to open the vents in spring.