Concrete over Concrete

Old 01-31-14, 10:02 AM
Concrete over Concrete

I'm fixing/remodeling a bathroom in an old basement (1930's or so). There are concrete floors and an old concrete shower pan w/ a drain. The shower is no longer operable as the drain is collapsed somewhere outside. I am looking to pour concrete to fill in the old pan and just have a raised section on that part of the bathroom. Is there anything tricky about pouring new concrete over the old stuff and keeping it all flush?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-14, 06:58 AM
Temporarily Suspended
One issue is the bonding, of the new to the old. How thick is will the new pour be? Is there no way to repair the drain?

Old 02-03-14, 07:29 AM
The home is on a slab so that makes it a little more difficult I guess. I thought about busting it out and tying it in to the toilet drain but even that was more that I felt like taking on. I'm sure I could eventually figure out where the blockage was if it's outside and repair it but I'm not all that interested in that. I'm fine with a working sink and toilet and could use the extra space where the shower was for storage anyway. I think there is some kind of adhesive that you paint on old concrete to help it bond to new so maybe that'll be the route I take.

Old 02-03-14, 08:07 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Yes, bonding agents exist. That might be what you need.