Random boards nailed to joists

Old 02-09-14, 02:17 PM
Random boards nailed to joists

I would like to clean up my attic and make it a better storage area. However, going at seemingly random angles across my joists are random 2x4's. There's only three of them and they aren't obviously serving a purpose. They are impeding any real improvement up there. Its a single story. I'm not sure what other information might be needed. Pictures can be provided if necessary. Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-14, 03:04 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 140
Yes, photos would be helpful. It's hard to comment based on "three boards at odd angles". Odd boards are often not structural but you have to wonder why there were installed in the first place. Often I see odd boards stuck in to help correct a warping or sagging rafter or some other problem.

Old 02-09-14, 04:40 PM
pictures

It looks like I have to upload the pictures separately, sorry about that. Additionally, forgive the clutter, it explains my need to clean up there.

Attached Images  
Old 02-09-14, 04:45 PM
second photo

sorry, it's too big, so I'm going to have to work on that. Is the first photo enough to give you an idea?

Old 02-09-14, 04:58 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 126
You see that little yellow tag on the vertical 2x4 at the front of your picture? read it and tell us what it says.

I am guessing that any horizontal bracing is there because it was called out on the design of the roof system by the truss mfg. as being necessary.

Old 02-09-14, 05:08 PM
They look like roof trusses to me. Those 2x4's are most likely there to prevent high winds from the gable ends from pushing the roof over.