Attic moisture after professional insulation

Old 02-10-14, 01:10 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Post Attic moisture after professional insulation

I had my home professionally insulated under a state funded program. The work included insulated the rim joists, thermo insulation of the exterior crawl space walls, netting off and blowing in insulation between each rafter, and adding blow in insulation to the floor including the top of the 2nd floor ceilings (in the attic). They sealed the area with foam at all openings and outlets, etc.

I just checked my attic due to seeing a water spot on the ceiling and noticed that it was frosted over and the following day, when Wisconsin weather warmed to 20 degrees, it was wet. The very top of the blow in insulation is also wet.

In one of the 2 upper bedrooms, the ceiling is fiberous tile that has a tongue and groove design. The insulation company feels that this may be a way that the moisture from the home is entering the top attic area. I don't really buy that.

The upper attic area has no ventilation so I am not sure how the moisture in there will escape.

I have attached a drawing of the home and photos of the area. Please let me know what the proper course of action should be to remedy this issue.

Attached Images    
Old 02-10-14, 01:14 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
So what's on the roof? Metal, shingles?

Old 02-10-14, 01:44 PM
C
Are the crawl space areas where they "netted" and installed the blown in insulation. Did they install any type of vapor diffusion retarder over the netting? What material did they use for that area and the upper attic, is it fiberglass, cellulose,....?

Was the contractor an independent contractor or is this a state funded program run by a state agency?

Did they mention at any time the approach to venting?

Was there any insulation there before and what R-value did they add?

Old 02-10-14, 01:52 PM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I have some info

The netting is not air tight but I don't know if there is any vapor barrier. I think it is blown in cellulose. All the other material is cellulose, but the exterior walls in the conditioned space is thermo board. All materials used met state requirements and were state inspected. The company that did the work was a contracted company.

I used to have a ridge vent, but there are no soffits in my home. It was removed over the summer, after the insulation was added, when the roof was re-done.

Old 02-10-14, 02:15 PM
C
Was there any provision for venting between the roof deck and the blown-in material behind the netting?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: