Exterior perimeter drain/ drywell

Old 02-16-14, 07:27 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exterior perimeter drain/ drywell

Hello.

I decided to scrap my interior drain project and chose to excavate from the exterior to address my water seepage. My house sits 4 feet or so below grade. I have an old block foundation with no footer. My plan is to expose the foundation and clean it. Apply water proofing to foundation (more insight here appreciated) install a perimeter drain and lead it off to the other side of the yard into a dry well. Given the lack of a footer and knowing the drain would be most effective below the level of the wall would it be wise to stay a certain distance ( say 15 inches) away from the wall not to undermine the foundation. Then run my drainage material directly into the trench. I could keep it up against the foundation but I don't think it would be as effective if not below the wall and I don't think I should dig below right next to the foundation. I then would take my drain tile and lead it to a drywell on the other side of the property. (any insight on building the drywell also appreciated) Perhaps I would also run some non perforated pipe from my downspouts to the drywell as well.

Thanks in advance for any info/help

Anthony

Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-14, 06:06 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I used to seal a lot of foundations as part of a crew. We dug a few inches below the footing. (I don't know why you don't have a footing.) Then we would dry the foundation with a torch, seal it with a rubber membrane, that comes on a roll, throw in some gravel & back fill. Most times we didn't need a dry well. Just make sure that the pitch is right & the gutters are in good shape.

Old 02-17-14, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the response. Problem for me is the property is flat. Not on a hill so if my pipe is 4 or 5 feet below ground I can pitch it to daylight. That's why I'm thinking sump pit or dry well

Old 02-17-14, 08:03 PM
Temporarily Suspended
You can add as many yards of top soil as you want to change the pitch. You need to change the pitch with or without a dry well. The idea is to keep the water away from the foundation.

Old 02-20-14, 05:49 PM
I plan on grading everything away from the house when I backfill. What I mean is if I have a drain pipe which is 4 or 5 feet below grade and my lot is flat there is no way from me to drain to daylight that's why I was thinking drywell or sump pump.

Old 02-21-14, 12:14 AM
I'm confused. You first said your house sits 4' below grade, which implies it's located in a large hole or swale. But then you later stated the lot is flat.

Can't be both. Or am I missing something?

Old 02-22-14, 06:16 AM
I apologize for the confusion. The lot is flat. The basement floor is 4 feet below grade.

Old 02-22-14, 03:50 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Either way, follow what I said & you won't have a problem unless there is a high water table.

Old 02-25-14, 06:19 PM
ok. Thank you for the advice