Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Do i need to seal the cavity of my walls from the attic

Old 02-16-14, 09:26 PM

Hey Guys,

The cavity in my walls seems to lead up into my attic and is unsealed. I'm planing to insulate soon but it seems like i should seal of any attic air from air that is in the cavity of my walls? Or does there need to be an air pathway from the walls and into my attic?

For example what i'm talking about is that the walls in my second floor have drywall then insulation then brick, air gap then another brick. If you go up into the attic you can reach down a gap and feel the insulation. My plan is to seal this air gap off so i don't get cold air coming down that gap.

Is that a good idea?

I've looked at this post which doesn't totally apply but will read Vermont Efficiency document and see what they say.

What do you think?

cheers
oman

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-14, 02:27 AM
That path from basement to attic has been keeping your bricks warm and dry. Well, warmer, maybe not warm. When you change anything related to air flow or insulation you risk how the bricks will respond. Here is an article, more related to temperature than ventilation, but it will give you some insight.

IMO, the airflow from basement to attic is not good for your energy costs nor is it good for the attic, lots of moisture. So, yes the path needs to be addressed, I just can't judge from here what approach is best.

There is another poster, IBreakStuff who is dealing with a similar problem.
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/in...ass-batts.html

Bud

Old 02-17-14, 06:33 AM
Thanks Bud,

I'm PM'd Ibreakstuff and will see how he went with the sealing. By the way i didn't see an article on "temperature than ventilation", was there something meant to be attached?

cheers
oman

Old 02-17-14, 07:23 AM
LOL, and the title of this article seems to apply to me as well:
BSI-047: Thick as a Brick — Building Science Information

I do get lost at times.
Bud

Old 02-19-14, 09:44 AM
Oman, PM'd you back, but just to summarize: I haven't done the sealing yet since Great Stuff doesn't cure too well in cold weather - you just end up with a wet sticky mess.

That extra time has allowed me to move back to being on the fence about doing it though. Energy efficiency pros tell me to do it, air quality pros tell me not to do it, & the building science community doesn't seem to have a clear picture on what to do when it comes to load-bearing masonry when you're talking about buildings from the mid/early-20th century.

So frankly....still searching for other opinions before going through with it.