Sump pump old house no trenches

Old 02-22-14, 12:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sump pump old house no trenches

Hello,
I've heard that sump pumps can be effective even without trenches and drain tiles if there is gravel under the slab. My house was built in the early 1930's, so does it most likely just have soil right beneath the basement slab? If so, would a sump pump in the lowest part of the basement be useless without drain tiles? I'm extremely reluctant to install trenches due to the fragile nature of this old foundation (not to mention the high cost) and I would rather just live with the water in the basement if it came down to that...

Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-14, 04:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I used to live in a 1920s era house, also with no trenches/drain tiles. The house was located in an area where the water table, in times of long lasting heavy rain, would occasionally rise to a level where water was coming up through the concrete floor seams. I installed a sump and pump, and directed the output through flex pipe to the street (okay to do that at the time, not sure about now). It helped- not completely, but the incoming water was significantly less.( A small ribbon of water at the concrete seam, as compared to a large puddle-not too deep, but widespread.)
Good luck with your situation.

Old 02-22-14, 04:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 343 Votes on 321 Posts
You haven't actually said what the problem is. Is the basement flooding ? Weeping ?

Many people don't realize that the runoff water outside needs to be directed away from the foundation of the house.