Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Basement Remodel - Removal of Existing Framing Questions

Old 03-22-14, 11:38 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Good Afternoon Everyone,

I am a relatively new homeowner, and I am embarking on a likely multi-year project to re-finish my basement. I bought the home from a refurbisher, and he had ripped out most of the dated finish work in the basement. However, he left the existing framing, which is mostly shoddy at best, and has some water-related rot.

I have at least one area where there is water coming in from behind the framing on an outer wall. It seems like the best bet is to just tear it all out, do the concrete repairs, and start from scratch to do it correctly. However, after close examination, I've discovered at least a couple roadblocks that leave me with questions. Your advise is welcome and appreciated. I have included several pictures.

1. The outer wall framing appears to be anchored to the concrete walls with rather large flathead fasteners. How much trouble am I asking for in trying to remove these?

2. The basement is a daylight basement. The rear wall is half concrete, and half lumber. The internal framing is ripped 2x4s attached to the structural framing. How can I safely remove the inner framing without damaging the structural framing?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-14, 11:53 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Before you begin, correct the water intrusion from the outside. No water problem can be corrected from inside. I have not seen, nor heard of anyone using straight head screws in the past 20 years, and penetrating an otherwise non leaking wall is not advisable. A free standing wall using pressure treated lumber for a bottom plate (which he did not do), and spf lumber for studs and top plates attached 1" or so away from the concrete usually makes for a good wall. It will require deeper window and door returns, but does not penetrate the concrete, allows for insulation, and helps keep mold from forming behind it.

Old 03-22-14, 12:02 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hey Chandler. Thanks for the reply.

Based on what I was told, it's likely the existing framing in the basement was completed some time in the 1970s, none of this work is recent. What you are saying, if I'm reading it correctly, is that I do in fact need to remove the old framing. I can correct the water issue from the outside, I will contact a contractor for that work to ensure it is done correctly.

Given that the existing framing needs to go, am I correct in assuming that I can do this removal myself concurrently with the water issue being corrected externally? Also, is there a specific method I should use for the removal of the straight head screws that are securing the existing framing to the concrete? I do not want to cause any additional damage to the concrete if I can avoid it.

Thanks again.

Old 03-22-14, 01:13 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
I'll just add some reading. I like the idea of using rigid foam board against the foundation as opposed to just leaving a space. An air gap can allow moisture to convect from low to the very cold upper portion and condense and freeze.
BSD-103: Understanding Basements — Building Science Information

A saws-all will help a lot when fasteners cannot be removed. Clean everything up good, resolve the water problem from outside, and check the new codes in your area for required r-value in a basement. How to Insulate a Basement Wall | GreenBuildingAdvisor.com

Bud