Basement leak

Old 04-14-14, 10:21 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Basement leak

I have a leak coming from under the rec room sub floor into the furnace room. There is no water on the walls or the carpet is not wet. I need to safely remove the drywall so that I can reuse it to see where the leak is coming from. Can some one please help me out as I am a senior that built a lot of this room by myself and do not want to have to destroy it. Any help would be appreciated.
There are concrete walls that I glued pink sheets of insulation onto the walls and then the framework. I think the water is maybe coming down the wall and under the floor. Thank you.

Old 04-14-14, 10:33 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I'm not sure it's feasible to remove more than a little bit of drywall with the intentions of being able to reuse it ..... but a sheet or two of drywall isn't that expensive. That said, foundation leaks are always best addressed on the exterior.

Old 04-14-14, 11:51 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
If you can locate the studs or furring strips you can cut down the center. That way you will have some structure to re-attach the sheet rock. The problem with reusing sheetrock though is that new sheets have a slight taper to the edges so you can mud and tape and end up with the smooth seam. A replaced section in the middle of a sheet will have all the mud and tap on the surface creating a raised area. Another option would be to just cover the seams with molding.

Best for having a smooth, flat wall when your finished would be to locate the edges of your original sheets and remove a full sheet.

Another option would be to buy or rent an inspection camera. Mine was only a couple hundred dollars. You can drill holes in the wall and stick the camera through without having to remove big sections of drywall on a bug hunt.

Old 04-15-14, 11:37 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you for your help. I will look into the camera option.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: