Staining concrete questions

Old 05-13-14, 07:28 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Staining concrete questions

My basement has a lovely concrete all across it. Most of the basement is smooth, with a couple of areas that need to be sanded or leveled or whatever they do to get the concrete ready for staining. Is this something that I could do? I saw that giant floor buffer looking device but I was hoping for something a little smaller for a couple of the areas that I have. Also, we haven't laid down the trim or painted the basement yet. Should that wait until after we stain the floors, or should we do that first?

Old 05-13-14, 10:35 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 405 Votes on 361 Posts
Do you intend to use an acid stain or a solid pigment concrete stain?

Old 05-13-14, 11:57 AM
D
My wife was looking at the Behr concrete stain. I din't know if that's a pigment or an acid.

Old 05-13-14, 12:37 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
A solid stain looks something like paint, an acid stain is more or less clear but reacts with the stones/chemicals in the concrete and turns them different colors. I have no idea what type of concrete stain Behr sells.

Old 05-13-14, 02:10 PM
D
I see. Well, we were looking at an acid stain then. Hope that helps.

Old 05-14-14, 03:21 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't know a lot about acid stains while they work good on new concrete [and can be used on old] I'm not sure how well it will work if the concrete has been patched. Hopefully someone else will reply that has more experience with acid stains.

If you paint first, any paint that gets on the concrete needs to be removed prior to applying the stain. If you stain first, you need to protect the stain from the paint. I'd probably complete the basement [maybe not the baseboard] before staining the floor.

Old 05-16-14, 10:30 AM
D
I just got my estimate for the floor. They want over 4k to do it. I did find out that what I thought was stippling on the concrete was actually carpet glue. Not sure if that's high. I'm wondering if painting the floor would be cheaper.

Old 05-16-14, 01:38 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Painting would be cheaper than an acid stain. ..... you still want to remove as much of the adhesive as you can before painting.

Old 06-17-15, 08:53 AM
L
strip and re stain concrete floors

I purchased a home and the interior floors were in bad shape. The previous homeowner pulled carpet up, did not fill any nail holes or the crack (chip) in the center of the living room. It looks as though they did acid stain and protective coat on top. My question is, how do I strip these floors, repair holes and cracks, re-stain (or add some color back) and re-seal. The stain has become discolored in places.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: