Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Which products do I use to repair the basement walls/foundation?

Old 05-26-14, 02:45 PM
Z
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I've read through several instructions on how to repair basement foundations on this site and others. I have a limestone foundation. It's a pretty old house upwards of 100 years. The mortar is beginning to crumble between the rocks and I'm about to start the project of repairing all of it. There's a layer of something yellow on the outside of all the rocks. I'm guessing this is some sort of sealant.

Anyway I'm going to remove all the loose mortar and rocks with a wire brush and possibly a chisel. I have an old bag of mortar called "MAPEI Ultracontact" Ultra-premium full-contact mortar. Is this okay to use? Or should I just go to Lowe's and get some new stuff, if so what is best?

But before applying new mortar I have an adhesive solution called concrete bonding adhesive by Quikrete. Should I use this before applying mortar? Or should I use something else?

Lastly, what type of sealant should I buy once the mortar is completely dry?

Thanks for all your help!

Old 05-26-14, 05:07 PM
C
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Zachkraft, this can become a somewhat complicated issue. Are you sure the original mortar isn't a lime based product? You have to be careful about using a mortar that is harder than the stone. Mortar should always be softer than the stone or brick it is being used on.

You should not use the Mapei product. It is not meant for this type of application.

It may be a better bet to have a local mason look at this and make a determination of what exactly you have and what to use.

When you talk about sealing, does that mean you have a water issue and is it coming in the joints in the stone? A little more info. may be helpful.

Old 05-27-14, 11:09 AM
Z
Calvert,

Thanks for the response, I'm not sure what the original mortar is. We don't have any water issues that I know of (I don't see water on the floor when it rains or anything). I just thought covering the wall with a sealant would add protection. It's just that the old mortar is crumbling and falling to the floor and looks awful. I will attach a picture in case that helps any.

The MAPEI product was already in the basement when we moved into this house so I'm assuming the old owner used that to repair the walls whenever necessary (could explain why it's falling off now if that's not the correct product?).

Also, would a mason really want to give their opinion if they knew I was going to do the work myself instead of paying them to do it? The idea was that I wanted to do the work and avoid the thousands of dollars it would take to have a pro do it.

Attached Images   
Old 05-27-14, 02:48 PM
C
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Zachkraft, from the looks of things in your pictures it appears that someone tried surfacing the stone with one or more different products. It also appears that the original "mortar" is a rather soft blend, perhaps nothing more than lime and sand.

I'm sure attitudes vary everywhere in the country but I routinely help people come to a decision even if they want to do their own work.

If you have a good builders' supply house in your area, one that specializes in masonry related materials, go there and ask the owner for advise or if he might deal with someone who may come out, even for a nominal charge, and recommend a course of action for you.

You might also Google "Preservation Trades Network" and see if they show a membership roster. Perhaps there is someone in your area that is a member and can help you understand the situation a little better. Typically those guys are more into the preservation aspect of construction and are not necessarily looking to capitalize on everything they look at....they do it for the love of building.

Old 05-27-14, 11:02 PM
Z
Thanks calvert. I will call up a local construction company that does foundation repairs and see if someone could give me their opinion.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: