Basement drain tile questions

Old 06-02-14, 05:24 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Basement drain tile questions

Hello everyone, I am a new member to the forums and can use some help understanding more along the lines of what I have so i know how to tackle my problem.

I bought my house coming up on 4 years now. its a 1200 sqft Ranch with a 2 car attached garage. Ever sense purchasing the house i have noticed on specific area of the basement was leaking water in only when it pours. At first I was under the impression that it was close to footing of the foundation and leaking up between the floor slab and cinder block wall. After literally sitting in the basement watching the window as a massive storm rolled through I noticed that water is filling up along side the exterior wall and draining into the basement through one of the basement windows.

My house has a sump that is working after many improvements to the flow to move the water out faster, but can not tell if its drainage tile that fills it. There is just a single opening that was punched out the the sump. Just installed new gutters around the entire house with zero signs of improvements. Slope is away from the house all the way around with the slightest slope is by my problem area but I can change it much due to neighbors house is semi close (its a tight fit between houses with a wide bucket on the bob cat.

My questions are: 1. which do you think is more likely, do I have interior or exterior drain tiles so i know which area to attack first to ride my basement of the leaking basement?

2. With the garage attached to the house and unless they has different foundation designs in the 70s with having the same footing level as the house, would my drain tile wrap around just the house foundation or would the garage have its own or none or will it be wrapped around just the house?

3: If the house has drainage tile on the exterior wall, is there any way to put in extra drainage tile on my single wall problem area? If so would i splice it back into my existing tile running to the sump or would it be better to run it to its own sump and discharge it separately?

If this fixes my leaking window problem and my other problem I would be unbelievable happy! I do have some hydro static water pressure under my slab and it has cracked with a damp crack line but that is all that it shows of leaking sense the sump pump upgrade.

Please let me know what you guys think! I can draft up a quick lay out of the house and show problem area, sump, and down spout locations if needed and post a screen shot.

Old 06-03-14, 06:11 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Always look at the exterior first. The fact that there is a sump pump tells me that someone didn't try to stop the water from entering & just found a way to remove it. Look for hairline cracks in the foundation. Look at the gutters & downspouts & the pitch of the land. It should be sloped away from the house.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: