Basement Foundation Crack Repair

Old 06-04-14, 06:03 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Basement Foundation Crack Repair

Is there anything I can use to repair hairline cracks in my basement foundation that is seeping water when it rains? I've had several of those Crack Repair companies come out and look, but was wondering if this could be a DIY repair.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-14, 08:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 102 Votes on 94 Posts
Hydraulic cement might work. It's best to repair the cracks from the exterior side but we know that isn't always feasible. Is your guttering piped away from the house? If you post a pic or two of the cracks we would have a better understanding of what you are dealing with - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 06-08-14, 05:02 AM
this is a diy forum so, OF COURSE, it can be a diy job i wouldn't choose hydraulic for anything permanent,,, of course it would certainly be easier to advise IF WE KNEW WHAT YOUR WALLS ARE MADE OF block OR conc ? ya gotta he'p out here !

how far below grade are the cracks that leak ? are the downspouts directing water AWAY from your home ? does the ground next to the bsmt wall slopes 1:6 away for at least 6' ? are there any depressions next to bsmt walls that would collect wtr ? do you have windows in the bsmt walls ?

ps - we do this work for a living

Old 06-08-14, 07:45 AM
These cracks are above grade. My foundation is poured. All downspouts are far away from the foundation and the ground is graded appropriately.

I am looking to apply something from the outside, to cover the hairline cracks. I'm reading that a vinyl material should be used of some kind.

thanks

Old 06-10-14, 09:16 PM
Had the same problem a few months ago, just before winter. I knew I had to get to the bottom of the crack so I used a jackhammer, dug out all the dirt and had a concrete pro come out just to patch and filled the hole back up myself.

I know its a DIY forum but I had a hairline crack that turned out to be a serious 2-3 feet deep and didn't want to risk it opening up again and in places I didn't see. Just my 2 cents.