fireplace in basement??

Old 03-11-01, 06:31 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I am buying a house with a large empty basement with very minor leaks/cracks. I am having interior drainage tiles installed and cracks finished to insure I do not face any moisture problems before starting any investment in living space. I would like to install a fireplace in the basement. Is this something I should do before or after the waterproofing?? Any suggestions or things to watch out for? Any good websites? Thanks!

Old 03-11-01, 07:23 PM
Visiting Guest
I would find a "fireplace" store near you and check out there fireplaces. I'm aware of a couple of alternatives. One would be a completely ventless fireplace. No flues outside, or anything. 2ndly you could go with a direct vent fireplace. This is something that vents directly outside. Both of these are "prefab" fireplaces that would work off a gas line. Depending on your floor joist situation you may be able to vent the fireplace to the outside in between a couple of 1st floor joists. All this could be done when your basement gets framed. Regarding websites..check out mine. I actually live near you too. Hope this helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: