Need Crawl Space Advise/Direction

Old 06-19-14, 02:35 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need Crawl Space Advise/Direction

Hello everyone! I have a dirt floor crawlspace in my home that I am trying to decide how best to redo the flooring to cut down on the dirt. I live in Colorado so humidity/moisture isn't really a concern.

My problem is my water heater and furnace is located in my crawlspace and is very dirty. The furnace is about 32 years old and I have people coming to estimate replacing it. But I'm afraid even a new furnace will still introduce dust from the crawlspace into my ventilation and the environment itself will cause undue wear and tear on the new furnace (I know the current one is 32 years old, but they don't build them like they used to). Also, I am a severe asthmatic and the introduced dust can no longer be ignored.

Now, I'm not looking to spend a lot of money. I will be buying a new furnace soon and I don't plan to stay in this house for more than 4-5 more years. I don't want to spend a lot on excavation and concrete. Other options I have read online is to use heavy plastic and pea gravel or some insulating paneling with layered plywood over top.

Both are decent suggestions as far as I know, but I wanted to come on here and provide my entire situation in case someone has a better idea. I'm currently a telecom engineer but my previous career was a certified automotive mechanic so I'm very capable of the do-it-yourself lifestyle. Thanks in advance for the assistance!

Old 06-19-14, 02:44 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 894 Votes on 824 Posts
Your home's HVAC system is a closed loop. Even though the furnace is in the basement the air and dirt of the crawlspace is not introduced into the home. Also since it's a closed space the dirt just sits on the ground and is only stirred when you go in there. If you mentioned that your crawlspace was damp and things rusted I would be more concerned. Since your's is dry I would consider the dirt more a cosmetic detail and something that does not affect the life span or operation of the mechanicals down there.

Old 06-19-14, 02:49 PM
C
Normally I'd agree, but whoever built this house sure cut a lot of corners (literally, there isn't a square wall in this place). The ventilation isn't very sound in the crawlspace area, probably due to 30+ years of abuse and neglect. I'm hoping that this will all be shored up when I get it replaced, but looking to mitigate as much as possible. Plus, I cannot DiY down there due to the dust and my asthma. Always sending my wife down there to replace the filter (which lies behind a "sliding hatch/door/slot" and just lays on top of the down duct to the blower, plenty of room to slide back and forth and once we even found the filter sucked into the blower). The area containing the blower assembly is caked with dirt too so if nothing is getting contaminated then I'd be shocked. Sure have to dust a lot in the house too, worse in winter....

Old 06-20-14, 05:14 AM
C
So plenty of views and even a response, but still no answer to my question.... Even if it's for cosmetic reasons, what are my options for covering the dirt floor in my crawlspace? Here is what I have so far:
1) Excavate and concrete
2) Plastic and pea gravel
3) Insulating panel layer and plywood
4) ?

Any other ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 06-20-14, 05:22 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 403 Votes on 359 Posts
Concrete is more/less permanent but also the most costly. Vapor barrier and gravel would make it cleaner. I'm fundamentally opposed to wood that close to the ground. I'm sure you could come up with some off the wall ideas to add to the list but IMO your first 2 options are the only viable ones.

almost forgot welcome to the forums!

Old 06-22-14, 07:12 AM
C
We're gonna put down 6 mil plastic and go from there once we get it cleaned out. There are other things we need to do as well. Thanks for the input.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: