Moldex treatment and waterproofing basement

Old 06-22-14, 07:03 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Moldex treatment and waterproofing basement

I soon will be having a foundation/waterproofing contractor working to fix my basement from leaking which will require a full perimeter drain and will be adding plastic encapsulation to cover all of the basement walls. At least one wall has old paint on it that contains black mold as the contractor said they are going to kill the mold using "Moldex" and wanted to know the following:

1) I was told the "Moldex" was going to be sponged in to kill the mold - however, is it enough to just kill the mold without removing it from the walls? And, does anyone have experience with this "Moldex" product?

2) The plastic liner is going to go up on all of the walls after the mold has been killed and how do I know that mold won't form again behind this liner since the walls always have moisture in them?

3) I was told that I did not need to leave the house when they are killing the mold since they are not removing it - is this safe, and, should dead mold be left on the walls?

I am definitely concerned with these mold treating methods.

Last edited by homeowner888; 06-22-14 at 07:20 PM.
Old 06-22-14, 07:37 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I never used Moldex so I can't comment on that product. Is the so called "full perimeter drain" inside or outside. Waterproofing should be done from the outside. That's where you focus should be at the moment.

Old 06-22-14, 08:12 PM
H
A full perimeter drain is going to be installed inside as I already have one wall with the drain installed (that is working) and the rest of the walls are going to be included. Outside work has already been addressed as for adding downspout extensions to the gutter downspouts and no digging is going to to be done around the exterior of the house as this could result in damage to the foundation and is a far too costly and invasive option as for tearing up the yard and is not recommended. My contractor works with "Basement Systems" products, only.

I need to know if "Moldex" is a good product for killing/removing mold.

Old 06-22-14, 08:21 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I guess that you have already decided that the interior solution is the way to go. Good luck. Maybe someone else has experience with Moldex.

Old 06-23-14, 03:48 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 404 Votes on 360 Posts
is it enough to just kill the mold without removing it from the walls?
Mold needs 3 things to survive/grow; heat, moisture and a food source. Take away any one of the 3 and the mold will die. You shouldn't have any issues as long as the fix the moisture problem. That said, I don't understand why they will treat but not remove the mold ?? maybe they intend to remove some but don't want to be responsible for removing it all ??
While I've heard the name, I don't know anything about Moldex either

almost forgot welcome to the forums!

Old 06-23-14, 09:30 AM
You can buy moldex at home depot.

I will be applying Boracore this weekend maybe.
It's a little bit more expensive then moldex, but from the reviews it seems like it's going to work. The product that will both kill and prevent mold on wood surfaces.
I will be spraying the entire wood under my crawl space.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: