carpeting a basement

Old 03-12-01, 09:14 AM
Visiting Guest
We have decided that we would like to carpet most of the basement in lieu of solid flooring. We are looking at fairly inexpensive berber type carpeting. What is the best type of padding to use and would putting poly on the concrete floor b/4 installation to reduce dampness moisture be a good or bad idea? The floor originally had a rubber backed carpet that was adhered to the floor with a mastic adhesive. There is a section where the utility room is that I would like to use floor tiles. I scraped up all of the rubber backing that remained and wonder if I can just tile over the old adhesive residue that won't come off.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-01, 07:18 PM
Visiting Guest
I would speak w/ a carpet guy for the definitive answers. However, I do recommend that my customers get a mildew resistant pad to go underneath the carpet. Regarding the remaining rubberbacking on the floor, when the carpet store guy comes to measure, consult w/ him to see if you've done an adequate job. Lastly, we had installed a berber carpet in our basement, thinking it would be the end all be all of carpets. Unfortuneately, that wasn't the case. We found that when the kids spilled on it the carpet got matted down, also the dogs nails would sometimes catch the loops of the berber and pull it. We eventually replaced it w/ a very short nap industrial strength office style carpet that wore great. Hope I've been of help.