Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Add drain pipes to basement footer, or, below it?

Old 06-23-14, 03:25 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I am trying to determine if it is more prudent to have additional "WaterGuard" drainage system installed on my basement footer (that I have used previously) as compared with "ADS" pipe installed in a trench off to the side and below the footer?

I previously have had one wall of my basement repaired with the "WaterGuard" system installed and it has been three years now and it appears to be handling the water that used to stream across the floor to the sump so this drain looks like it has been doing its job, so far.

Question:

I need to have the rest of my basement's perimeter fixed with either more "WaterGuard" or, would "ADS" piping below the footer a better solution?

Here is a video of someone who advocates using ADS pipe lower than the footer:

Hydro Armor- Box Systems Don't Work! - YouTube

Should I stay with using the "WaterGuard" system (as it appears to be working on the one wall) or go with "ADS" piping below the footer?

Also, note that the company I have used says that "ADS" pipes can clog with mud and debris since it is laid into a mud area below the footer. The guy in the video says the "ADS" pipe will remove FAR MORE water than my "box system" since it is laid deeper into the trench below the footer although he doesn't say if there are potential issues for the pipe clogging up with mud.

So far, my "WaterGuard" drain has held up without clogging so should I stay with what I already have to finish out the perimeter of the basement?

Anyone have experience with using the "ADS" piping?

Old 06-23-14, 05:57 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
As I mentioned in your first thread, I don't like internal water control systems unless there is a high water table. If there isn't a high water table, the control should be done from the outside.

Old 06-27-14, 09:31 PM
M
Waterguard is the absolute last possible line of defense: the water made it through the wall, and now I must deal with it. It's more expensive and disruptive, but digging out the perimeter of the house down to the footer, installing a perf pipe underdrain at or slightly below the footer (without undermining the footer) and within a layer of clean 3/4" stone surrounded by filter fabric, parging and waterproofing the foundation wall, installing a dimpled plastic drainage plane against the walls, and backfilling is the gold standard of attempting a dry basement.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: