Coating For Cinder Block Foundation wall?

Old 06-27-14, 09:50 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Coating For Cinder Block Foundation wall?

I recently offset and reconstructed a retaining wall against the
house, and it exposed more of the basement's (exterior) cinder block.
The previously underground cinder block has tar coating
(waterproofing) on it. The wife _hates_ how it looks.

I think it would be awful to tar the rest of the wall, and I doubt the existing
tar will come off without a sandblaster (or a pressure washer so
strong that it would damage the cinder block). Any suggestions on
what might look nicer?

Thanks,
Theodore.

Attached Images  
Old 06-28-14, 03:10 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 408 Votes on 364 Posts
Welcome to the forums Theodore!

I doubt a PWer would do much more than clean the tar. It can be dissolved somewhat by thinner, gas, etc but that would be a very messy job and would kill the grass below it ..... and it still wouldn't remove all the tar.

It can be painted although that won't eliminate the texture difference between the raw block and the tarred block.

Old 06-28-14, 06:21 AM
C
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
You can call Larsen products and see if the "Weld -Crete" product they make will work over the asphalt to bond a new parge coat to. Other than that you can wire mesh the surface and parge/stucco it.

Old 06-28-14, 07:55 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You can stucco it and it should be fine if you use lath to go over the block first and then apply a base coat to that, then a finish coat...

It would be a good idea to use expanded metal lat and nail it on to the block, using masonry nails, or maybe even by "ramsetting" the nails in with a lighter capacity shot (made for cinder blocks).

After the lath is secured, you will want to apply a base coat of about 3/8" in thickness, in order to make the asphalt "plain" into the cinder block and achieve a uniform look throughout the entire wall.

After this is done, you can apply a finish coat that is 1/16" to 1/8" in thickness to the base coat... and presto!... new wall!

It sounds like a lot of work, but really can be done in a weekend, if you are feeling energetic.

Hope this helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: