Remodel 1947 Basement

Old 06-29-14, 07:05 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Remodel 1947 Basement

Hello
I'd like to remodel the basement in my Minneapolis 1947 house. The basement is currently finished with dated flooring, painted block walls and dated flooring - looks to have been done in the fifties. The ceiling is tiled with fiber board nailed-in-place tiles and the flooring is 9X9 vinyl (likely asbestos flooring).
We want to frame up the block wall perimeter so that we can add electric, insulate then sheetrock. We also would like to sheetrock the ceiling, adding can lights. The basement has a drain tile system that seems to do a great job of keeping the water out. When it rains a lot, the system runs a lot and the basement stays dry.

I just wanted some tips and advice as to things that we should consider before moving forward with any renovation work, particularly with regards to covering the asbestos floor. Any other tips would be appreciated as well.

Old 06-30-14, 04:05 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Some states require asbestos mitigation if it's present during a remodel. It's pricey work, at least here in Oregon, as it can't be done by a homeowner, but has to be done by a licensed contractor with mitigation credentials. You should have the floor sampled and checked for asbestos, and then decide at that point if you want to proceed with the project. Contacting your AHJ could be helpful with your decision-making.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: