Moving steel beam supports

Old 07-01-14, 01:02 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Moving steel beam supports

In my basement, I have a 12" steel I-beam running the length of our 2 story house which is roughly 37' long. Between this span about 20' from one side is a steel support column. We are re-doing the basement, and want to move the column about 4' towards the short side (ie 24' span on one side, and 13' span on the other).

I'm just wondering if that would be an issue, or would I have to put in another support column? I assume that we would also have to dig out where the new post is going and pour a footer?
Any advice is greatly appreciated

Old 07-01-14, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Those supports were originally placed based on an engineers recommendation. Moving them without another engineers inspection and writeup as well as building dept approval would be a very bad idea.

4' may not seem like much, but you have just increased the span of the beam by 20%. That's a lot.

Old 07-01-14, 02:42 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks Gunguy...

We were actually contemplating putting a "faux" column in as well which we were could make a real column. That would make the spans 13', 19', 5', which is more robust than what is already there. I assume that would ensure structural integrity?

Old 07-01-14, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
I'm sure that would be fine...as long as it is a structural member and supported correctly.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: