Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

A portion of my attic is inaccessible - what to do?

Old 07-02-14, 10:59 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I just bought a two story home, and we have a trussed attic area. It is fairly easy for me to move around up there, but above one of the bedrooms upstairs the roof is sloped the 'other way' from the main slope of the roof, and the attic above that room seems completely inaccessible.

Name:  House.jpg
Views: 2161
Size:  23.3 KB

In the picture here you can see the peak of the main roof going left/right, and the bedroom with the big window is the room I can't get into the attic.

The reason I am trying to get access in there is because I am going to install a security camera pretty much directly above that window at the peak of the roof.

From inside the main area of the attic, it looks like a typical roof - complete with OSB up the entire way down, so basically MOST of that room has two overlapping roofs. Is it OK to cut a section out of that OSB, say a 2' wide section that's 4 or 5' tall?

Old 07-02-14, 02:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Do you have trey ceilings in your bedroom? Just be aware you may have to crawl up an over it if you do,even after you cut the access. There should be, by code, access to all parts of the attic for firefighters to gain entry. The attics must breathe, as well, so opening them up may be a good idea. Verify where you are cutting, so as not to cut through another part of the room.

Old 07-02-14, 02:43 PM
B
Nope, no trey ceiling. I'm going to double-check that there isn't some other kind of access door in the ceiling in the closet or something that I just never noticed before.

I'll also check in the attic if there is some access area that I couldn't see before. We have about 2' of blown cloth insulation through the entire area, so it's possible there are openings for ventilation there. There is definitely ventilation holes on the sides of the roof that would only be open to that section of the attic - and a louver.

Old 07-02-14, 04:16 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
If there is no access I wonder how they got in there to install the insulation? Technically you don't know what is in there. I can't tell from the picture if there is a ridge vent or not. You mentioned low venting which will need to work with high venting somewhere TBD.

Bud

Old 07-03-14, 09:44 PM
B
Solved!

I went up there again tonight and was able to see what was going on.

The main attic *does* connect to the other section. It was just very difficult to see, because the opening between the two is only maybe two feet tall and 2 feet wide (the width between trusses), and it's very dark up there and the insulation covers up a lot of the hole.

Since it was nice and sunny outside, I was able to see the light shining in through the louver, but being able to GET to it is going to be a challenge. It's very difficult to crawl on your hands and knees on the thin side of 2x4's space 2 feet apart :P

Old 07-04-14, 04:43 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
That turned out good. But you should still review your ventilation up there. If no ridge or other high vent, those soffit vents will not provide a lot of fresh air if the hot air is held captive. Just an FYI.

Bud

Old 07-04-14, 05:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Votes on 69 Posts
Take some 20 by 6 3/4 boards up there with you and put between studs and walk on them in hard places to put feet. The 20 inches will span rafters and give you plenty of room to step.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: