Next steps for this basement wall

Old 07-05-14, 06:47 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Next steps for this basement wall

My house was built in 1936. It had a flaking parge coat in one area. I've since replaces the original basement windows and redirected the downspout away from the house.
I've started scraping off the flaking parge and now chunks from the wall are coming off. Which product would
work best to seal and strengthen the wall? I did buy some Quikrete but maybe there's a better option.

Attached Images   

Last edited by karladamczyk; 07-05-14 at 07:02 PM.
Old 07-06-14, 03:32 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Chunks are falling off the wall because there is more water in there than you think. Correcting the downspout was a good start. However, I doubt it's enough. Are there any cracks in the wall, on the outside? It sounds like the wall should be sealed from the outside. To do that, it has to be exposed, to the footing & sealed. Also, the pitch needs to be checked.

Old 07-06-14, 07:22 PM
K
The exterior was stuccoed and I don't see any cracks

Old 07-06-14, 07:25 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
The foundation has stucco on it too? There is way to much damage, on the inside wall, for me to think that a downspout was the only problem.

Old 07-07-14, 11:13 AM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
i think that's just the result of extended water infiltration into the wall w/o resolving the problem from the outside which is the right way to do it,,, instead someone just kept covering it up taking the cheap way out,,, you're method will only continue doing what's been done.

what happened is the water pick'd up acid salts in the soil & those acid salts feasted on the lime in your blocks,,, lime's an ingredient of cement.

either dig outside & repair properly or live w/it - there's no silver bullet

Old 07-07-14, 11:34 AM
I think there may be some leakage and concrete that has seen some wetting drying on the upper courses of block to the left of the window.

Perhaps the moisture is coming from further above and spreads laterally when it hits a barrier like concrete or a header and then goes down or is absorbed.

That type of damage has been going on for a long times and was covered up numerous times.

Dick

Old 07-07-14, 08:06 PM
K
Outside of the basement window are massive concrete rectangular driveway stones. They are old and failing and meet up with a newer concrete driveway at the front of the house. I think I will just patch for now and do the proper repair when it's time to tear up the driveway.

Old 07-07-14, 08:55 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
If you aren't going to do the outside repair now, don't bother to do the inside either.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: