need opinion on wet block wall

Old 07-05-14, 07:13 PM
X
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
need opinion on wet block wall

I noticed some efflorescence on my basement wall and upon further inspection found a rain gutter elbow that has been clogged for some time (year?). water has been running down the outside of the gutter and I'm assuming causing the water problem. Question is will the blocks dry by themselves now that I have found the source or should I make sure there is no water inside the blocks themselves by drilling small holes in the bottom course and then plug and seal the wall? thanks

Old 07-06-14, 03:44 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 408 Votes on 364 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I'd leave them alone and just keep an eye on it. The foundation should dry out if the source of moisture is removed.

Old 07-06-14, 06:53 AM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
i'd drill some holes - if there's water in there, it'll drain out & the blocks would dry faster,,, collected water passes thru the ground & absorbs acid salts,,, the acid attacks lime in the cement used to make the block,,, then it leaves a footprint known as ' efflorescence ' [ calcium carbonate salts ]

if there's NO water, you got lucky ! the bldg code ONLY calls for ' dampproofing ' - NOT waterproofing,,, so back to the holes - where's the harm ? you can still keep an ' eye on it ' w/OR w/o holes

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: