Basement Column Support Question

Old 07-05-14, 07:17 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Basement Column Support Question

Hello all. I had some water damage in my basement and have ended up stripping it down to barebones for the most part. I ran into a question with one of the walls that runs under the support I-Beam. I do not believe that the wall is supporting the beam in any way, I am able to wiggle a few of the studs and there is not even a header as well as it isn't really tied to the beam.

The I-Beam is a 4x7 and there is a 2x8 tied to each side of it. From foundation to foundation the I-Beam is 23' long. There is a 4x6 wooden support column that is not even really tied to the beam, but it definitely looks like it is holding some weight.

Here is a picture:

PHOTO

So, I don't believe this stud wall is supporting anything, what do you all think? I have an engineer coming later in the month, but I thought it would just be good to get some input from others earlier on so I could work on my game plan if I did have to put in another column or two if I ripped the wall out.

Thank you.

Old 07-05-14, 09:53 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
To determine the strength of the steel beam, and how long it can span without intermediate supports, the engineer will have to make a determination of its Section Modulus. To do that, he will need to either measure web and flange thicknesses, or look for a mill mark size designation. Meaning the steel will need to be at least partially exposed (wood cladding removed).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: