Basement Drop Ceiling?

Old 07-08-14, 12:08 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Basement Drop Ceiling?

Hello,

I know nothing about this stuff so forgive me if this is a dumb question or even a dumb request. We are moving in August into a town home. The basement is dry, bright, and clean but it is not finished. Would it be possible to put in a drop ceiling even though the basement is not finished? Is that dumb to even do or think of? It doesn't even have to be the whole basement. Just from where the picture starts to the dart board. My son will have a tv down there with his video games and movies. Just a place to hang out with friends. I have attached a photo of the basement. Just wondering if this is feasible and if so, how much it would cost? We don't have the means to finish it completely just yet.

Thank you.

Dan
Name:  basement.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  33.1 KB

Old 07-08-14, 12:23 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Could you do it? Sure. Question I have is why? Your son probably doesn't care about the ceiling.

That said, what's the height down there and how far down were you proposing the drop?

Old 07-08-14, 12:43 PM
M
Okay, here is one of the reasons and it probably is a silly one (coming from the wife). Our friends had a similar basement and had the same type of situation. When they would be down there they would occasionally get spiders dropping down on webs and getting in the furniture, on them, etc. Now I know that could happen regardless or they could come in from other parts of the basement etc but after they had put in a drop ceiling (even in a small area) they had no more problems whatsoever. That was years ago and have recently finished their entire basement so I am sure the cost is different now. Up to me, I'd say let it go but to appease the wife I said I'd see what approximately it would cost.

I would say the ceiling is about 8' from floor to rafter. Not sure how far the drop would be since I have no idea what is feasible or doable. Just wondering an approximate cost. I guess the lighting would have to be changed too?

Thanks!

Old 07-08-14, 12:51 PM
S
Group Moderator
Yep, you'd have to change the lighting.

Can't help with the cost, my basement ceiling is still open and I have yet to have a spider descend on me

Old 07-08-14, 12:54 PM
M
Maybe it was just their home. I'll probably just end up letting it go but wanted to get a ballpark figure. Does your basement have similar ceiling to it? Do you use it for entertainment use or do you just store stuff down there?

Old 07-08-14, 01:14 PM
S
Group Moderator
I have engineered joists whereas you have floor trusses. Otherwise, our ceilings are the same.

This is my family and main TV room - most used room in the house.

Old 07-08-14, 01:43 PM
W
Received 34 Votes on 31 Posts
Suspended Ceiling

I would suggest you read the instructions for installing a suspended ceiling and then decide if you situation would make it feasible. I think not.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: