...framing basement wall options

Old 07-08-14, 03:01 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question ...framing basement wall options

I have a raised ranch built in 1971. I'm updating half of my basement and finishing the other half so I can get more money renting it out as a complete studio.

The foundation comes up 43", just under the windows. The previous owners put a sil around the whole room but I'm not sure keeping it this way would bring top dollar as it looks very dated and well.."like a basement".

Is this the best option for this setup due to the windows being set back so far? How do contractors currently deal with this issue?? Any other options, opinions or suggestions are welcome.

Attached Images  
Old 07-08-14, 04:49 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I rent a "basement apartment" & from the pic, changing the sill isn't going to determine if you get "top dollar" or not. Exactly, what do you call "top dollar" & what's included?

Old 07-08-14, 05:30 PM
R
Maybe I should rephrase that. What I mean is, rent around here start at $800-$1200 and I would like to shoot for the higher number (Boston Ma area). I just want to make it appealing and current.

Old 07-08-14, 07:29 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I pay $1,000 for something similar. Some of the reasons that I'm satisfied are that I have FIOS internet & all the TV channels included not just the basic package. All the utilities are included. I have a private entrance & my own thermostat. Also, there are no parking restrictions, on the block. It has nothing to do with the style being up to date or the sills. As I was looking for places to live, I had run into a few broke divorced housewives looking to suck every dime out of the tenant. I have experience with a few of them & can spot them a mile away. If you make a good offer, you'll get the money.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: