Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Floor joists notched out 5ft to accommodate panel light !

Floor joists notched out 5ft to accommodate panel light !

Old 07-09-14, 06:37 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Floor joists notched out 5ft to accommodate panel light !

I'm starting to renovate my basement and just recently tore down the drop ceiling. I found that someone decided it was a good idea to notch out the joists to around 3" 5ft across to accommodate a panel light. I am hoping that all this will require is sistering some supports the length of the joist to the support beam. Please tell me I am correct?

Attached Images  
Old 07-09-14, 08:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 939 Votes on 857 Posts
Yes, that would be the simplest fix- the sistered joist will need to rest on the load bearing locations, so that it's not just a "patch".

Old 07-09-14, 09:18 PM
R
Thanks for verifying Xsleeper

Old 07-10-14, 05:29 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 901 Votes on 829 Posts
Before sistering put a level on the floor above and see if there has been any sagging. You may want to jack the joist when sistering to return the floor to level.

Old 07-10-14, 08:00 AM
R
Good point, there is a very small bedroom above and the floors are level no dips. Now lets just hope I don't have too hard a time banging in the sister joist. Any tips on making it easier? of just angle it and sledge hammer in?

Old 07-10-14, 08:40 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 901 Votes on 829 Posts
Give the joist bay a look over before inserting the new piece. Make sure there are no nails or anything sticking out that will get in the way. Sistering the entire length of the joist is not required but is best if you can do it. If you go less than full length the repair piece should extend 3 feet beyond the damaged section on both ends.

Trimming the edges of the new joist can make it easier to stand up in position.

Old 07-10-14, 07:03 PM
R
Thanks, the cut angles is a great idea! Good to know about the 3 ft beyond the damage area. I am gonna try my best to get it on top of the supports on both ends but things don't always pan out how we plan .

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: