Basement leaks , water intrusion , help!

Old 07-09-14, 08:56 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Basement leaks , water intrusion , help!

Having bout our house 2 years ago we were told there was minor water seepage at a discharge pipe to our septic system where it passes through our block foundation. I actually believed the guy and figured no big dig I will dig that out and seal it from the outside properly. He was just sealing around the pipe from the interior. Well we have a 3/4 finished basement and this section is not finished and contains our sump pit and serves as a utility room. Nowhere else I can tell has any issues. All drywall looks great and I can see now why he stopped finishing the basement where he did rather than drywall the full length. Now the dry-loc crap is bubbling and peeling. This is alone this entire one wall of our foundation. About waist down is where the moisture is present. Much worse than just the discharge pipe. Now I do need to regrade all 4 sides of the house. This side is the worst but it isn't terrible to be honest. On the exterior I can't add dirt because of location and my septic system is on this side. I have to make a minor ditch and slope water away from foundation and direct it out back following the grade of my yard. But judging from these pictures does this look like something solved by simply regrading? The moisture being so low along the wall and each corner seem like it's coming up from the bottom . But my interior drain into sump really doesn't discharge much water. Now my solid PVC drain into sump always flows heavy during storms and snow melts. So I included some pictures and was hoping to get some advice on how to tackle this before I start breaking my back and spending money. Sorry for the wall of text and bad grammar.

Attached Images    
Old 07-09-14, 09:04 PM
T
No water really shows on slab it's more the meeting point of the block wall/slab joint. I feel re grading will help but will not solve water intrusion at this lower level

Attached Images  
Old 07-10-14, 05:35 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 894 Votes on 824 Posts
Grading to get surface water away from the house will certainly not hurt and will hopefully help. Will it solve the water problem? I doubt it. The usual waterproofing methods on the outside of the wall are the most surefire.

Old 07-13-14, 06:06 PM
H
could try this...

My house is over 50 years old and has had water intrusion issues for a long time (I have been in it for about 8). Previous owners has chiseled an interior trench at the wall / floor joint to allow water to puddle and flow to sump. Sadly, this only dealt with what was coming out and down the wall. Meanwhile, joints were failing, block crumbling, buckling, etc. What I have found is a product call squidgee. It is a PVC baseboard that goes along the floor and wall joint. It is epoxied in place after holes are drilled in each core of each bottom block. This is done to relieve all hydraulic pressure on the wall, and to allow water to simply seep into the baseboard and travel to the sump. It is not the prettiest but it will take care of what i need. The product is expensive on it's own, but very cheap compared to the cost to excavate/seal/regrade outside and saw-cut, dig, lay drain tile, concrete inside.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: