Concrete basement floor heaved up

Old 03-13-01, 02:17 PM
Visiting Guest
Arrow

My home was built in 1956 and I am in the process of remodeling my basement. As I was working, I noticed that a section of my basement floor had heaved up. When I tap on this area with a hammer it sounds hollow so I have removed a small portion of the concrete that was jutting up to investigate. It smells of mold and mildew but there is no water apparent. The concrete itself crumbles very easily once I get just below the surface. The area that sounds hollow is about 3 feet in circumference but I have only cleared out an area of about 1 foot in circumference.

Does anyone know what would cause this? Is it ok to just patch the concrete and leave it? What type of contractor professional would I call to check out the problem?

Old 03-14-01, 04:16 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You can call most any concrete contractor. Call a smaller one. The big guys will not bother will a small job like that. You will have to cut out past the cracks. hard work. They will have the tools to do it quickly. Fill the hole with sand or small gravel, level, and pour new concrete. The cause, who knows. Tree root, soft spot in soil, ground water ? It is very fixable. Dusty job.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: