walkout basement wall

Old 07-16-14, 08:12 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question walkout basement wall

9 year old house, southern Ontario, walkout basement with original builder "diaper" pink wool insulation installed on concrete walls to 3 feet below ground. Stud walls have pink wool batts. This is pretty standard in my area.

Walls are concrete to various heights and stud wall on top of that to the ceiling. Some parts half/half, others different ratio.

I've taken off the diaper insulation installed on concrete walls and discovered moldy, rotted, poly-wrapped 2x4 pine lumber nailed horizontally flat side to the concrete wall, with the interior face flush with the framed wall. Basically the framed wall appears to be 2x6 and the concrete 4 inches thick, and the 2x4 fills the framed wall overhang and looks like its providing support.

Questions:
Is that 2x4 some sort of a structural support for the 2" overhang of the framed wall over the concrete wall?
The fact that the lumber rotted is probably explained by it being wrapped in plastic for 9 years, but what do I replace it with? The plans are to insulate the concrete wall with rigid XPS foam and a 2x4 wall in front of that.

thanks

Old 07-17-14, 09:18 AM
M
Picture of one of the corners of the basement .. black tar paper is where the diaper insulation was. The 3x4 nailed just below the framing is gone (sweated to death?) and removed now. Name:  Underneath builder insulation 20140716_181637_Android.jpg
Views: 2426
Size:  45.2 KB

And what it looked like with original insulation Name:  Before removing insulation 20140716_174948_Android.jpg
Views: 1476
Size:  34.4 KB

Old 07-17-14, 05:32 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Generally, 2x4s are not used for structural support. Before you do anything, you have to determine how water entered the structure which is an exterior problem & solution. It can not be solved from inside.

Old 05-19-15, 11:04 AM
M
follow up

Long overdue follow-up:

Water entered the wall through a sub-standard concrete corner in the window opening, not visible in the picture. After stripping building paper and 2x4's from the concrete wall I was able to use a screwdriver to make a 2 inch hole in concrete by removing loose material. It was protected from sight on the outside, by some mortar but there was a small opening.

The hole in concrete foundation was patched and caulked on contact with the window frame, and lasted a year without leaks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: