Basement Damp Cinder Block Specific Area

Old 07-18-14, 10:54 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Basement Damp Cinder Block Specific Area

I discovered this over the winter. A specific area of my basement gets damp on the cinder block. I am trying to figure out how to dry it out.

Some history:

Took out a concrete pad and regraded behind the garage near this corner. Used a tractor to do it. At the time I could tell water was traveling to that wall from under the concrete. Since then it has become a lot better but not totally resolved.

I am thinking there still may be a grading issue near the corner. All my downspouts run underground and outlet to the surface 12 feet away from the house. This area takes a long time to dry (if it ever drys) and is always pretty damp. The soil is a heavy clay. Regrading other areas of the house have fixed problems elsewhere. This area though appears to be challenging.

Should I add some catch basins or a french drain to keep this area from getting soggy after the snow melts and to perhaps help this area further?

Name:  IMG_0661.jpg
Views: 604
Size:  42.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0662.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  42.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0663.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  43.5 KB

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-14, 11:08 AM
Group Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 41 Posts
I'd start by putting the hose in the gutter to make sure the downspout isn't leaking somewhere ahead of its destination away from the house.

After that, might be time to start digging.

Old 07-18-14, 08:03 PM
Temporarily Suspended
What made you remove the slab behind the garage? I agree with Mitch. It might be time to dig.

Old 07-28-14, 10:27 AM
I removed the slab because it was ugly and not done correctly. In fact when I took it out they just filled holes in the ground with concrete rather than creating a nice surface. there used to be an ugly shed in the back there to it was hideous i can post pics.

I think I found the problem... I think water is running at the gutter end cap by the siding down to the dirt and traveling to that spot. Today with all the rain allowed me to help isolate this. I will post pics as soon as I can.

Old 07-28-14, 10:35 AM
I think the dripping is causing the block to get wet as most of the block around the house is dry (dryer) where visible despite all the rain we got...

I will have to get up on the ladder and look it is also weird it is dripping a bit on the edges. I know its not clogged and is clean so wonder if something else is wrong.

Name:  IMG_0687.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  52.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0688.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  42.0 KB

I should also note that area was finally drying out as I was cleaning and organizing our basement over the weekend. I seeded the area here is hoping that the seed doesn't rot because of all this rain. Grass finally started coming up and finally pulled out all the weeds.

Hoping I don't have to dig and this is the problem. Want to put new gutters on the house when I reside it in a couple years.