basement with rock foundation advice

Old 07-19-14, 01:39 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
basement with rock foundation advice

We are considering buying a house with a rock foundation. The basement gets some water when it rains that runs to the drain. My question - is there anyway to finish off a basement with rock walls like this one? Has anybody ever done this or have any pictures of this? It is a pretty good sized basement and the furnace is kind of tucked away and a corner so it could make a decent basement. If it is a not a good idea to fnish it, is there an easy way to waterproof it so it could at least be used for storage?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-14, 01:55 PM
C
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Is it general leakage or isolated to a spot that you can perhaps repair? Is the stonework mortared or dry stacked and if it is mortared is it cement based mortar or lime and earth?

As has been stated in these forums numerous times, a water problem is best dealt with from the exterior and if you can ascertain the nature of the leak it would be best to handle it externally.

Assuming you could find the water source you may still have a humidity issue since some stone and of course the joints as well as the concrete floor will pass water vapor unless there are definite barriers in place.

Perhaps providing some additional information and a few pictures will get us to a little better understanding of the situation so that more definitive answers can be provided.

Old 07-19-14, 02:41 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Hi steve,
Even modern day basements are a headache to finish into living space. Poorly build basements survive if they are allowed to exchange a lot of air, but when we look at the energy costs and start air sealing and insulating we end up building a mold factory. Every location is different so I'm not saying the one you are looking at can't be made livable, but it won't be simple. I've added an article illustrating what a new basement must consider to become energy efficient living space.
BSD-103: Understanding Basements — Building Science Information
Let me add as well, that what I'm assuming is an older home may have a long lost of potential issues. One of my services is to help first time home buyers avoid the many money pits and old homes tend to be such all too often. Radon, lead paint, lead plumbing, asbestos, moisture problems and the list goes on.

Best
Bud

Old 07-21-14, 10:18 AM
S
unless you can excavate full-depth & waterproof the exterior walls, your likely resolution is a sump & pump downstairs.

Old 07-22-14, 04:21 PM
And plan to run a dehumidifier full-time if you want to keep the space comfortable for living, and suitable for storage.