Support/Carrier beam help

Old 07-20-14, 12:10 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Post Support/Carrier beam help

I am in the process of building a cabin which has a loft bedroom in the attic area. I want the area below the loft bedroom to be open and needing help determining what size of I beams to use to carry the wieght of the loft/attic bedrooms. The cabin is 26 ft. wide and I am wanting a 24ft open space. I will have two carrier beams because I have a centered door in the end of the cabin so a one beam design won't work as well. The beams will be place at 8.5ft from the outside side walls and be 24ft long. So how big do I need to make the i beams to carry the load spanning the 24 ft? thanks

Old 07-20-14, 06:05 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You really need an architect to design that for you. I doubt that you will get an answer here.

Old 07-22-14, 04:30 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I'm not an architect, but there's not enough information for even an engineer to tell you what's needed. Your description makes it sound like you're trying to build a complete upper floor, and not a loft (which could be carried by just one beam, with ledgers around the perimeter). How long and what spacing will the joists be at that are resting on the beams?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: