Egress steel buck leaking

Old 07-30-14, 07:29 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Egress steel buck leaking

Hello all,

In my basement I have a poured concrete foundation with a steel buck frame made for an egress window.

I am having a problem with the joint between the 2nd and 3rd level of the frame leaking as pointed at in the attached picture:
Name:  leak spot.JPG
Views: 1293
Size:  28.2 KB

To give a little history, the house was built in 2000 (if it matters), I was having problems with water coming in on the same side of the window well. It would not collect (drainage for the window well works as intended) but would pour over the area where the concrete stops and the steel buck frame began. I re-graded the soil around the window well a bit to help with this but the leak happened again on the last big rain we got.

It seems to be a slow leak whenever we have a heavy rain. Any help would be appreciated in what to look for / caulk as I am stumped where the water is getting in for this area (last rain we had even that concrete to steel buck seam appeared dry). I would think if it was truly coming through that concrete seam, it would be wet along the wall on the interior as well, but that is not the case, just that one little seam is leaking.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-14, 08:04 AM
Group Moderator
Received 170 Votes on 159 Posts
It could be coming in at the top of the frame too. The head would hold the water and direct it down the sides. It might then show up at one of the bottom corners. What's the top of the opening look like?

Old 07-30-14, 08:26 AM
Thanks for the reply XSleeper -

The top of the frame looks pretty similar to the sides and the base on the outside - they are all flush with the concrete but the concrete get pretty rough looking on the overlap (some chips and what not). It also has no flashing over the top to direct water away if it dripped down from above. Would it be worth it to put some mortar sealant all the way around to see if that resolves the issue?

Old 07-30-14, 08:36 AM
Group Moderator
Received 170 Votes on 159 Posts
It sure couldn't hurt. Water "could" be entering at any point around the exterior of that frame. When windows like that leak at the top and the bottom edge of the siding is within a few inches of the window, it's sometimes useful to put a dripcap under the siding and WRB to act as a drip edge for the window below. That helps keep a lot of the water from running down the cement.

The best sort of sealant to use will be a polyurethane. Loctite S10 is one brand thats commonly found in box stores. Vulkem 116 is another... I think Menards usually handles it in a wide variety of colors. You probably want concrete or grey.

Old 07-30-14, 08:55 AM
Thanks for the advice! I will try it and see

Currently the window well is covered (with a hinge-based cover) but I have seen water find its way through the hinge, so I will look into the siding suggestion as well - there was a grade issue on the side of the window well though where the steel buck frame is leaking that was allowing the water to pour in through the side of the well itself (spraying all the way over to the frame but not far enough to get to the actual window thankfully ).

I am still in the process of regrading that area until that problem is resolved but wanted to also make the frame back to being water/air tight to prevent any future issues that could come up.

Thanks again! I will report back if it resolves the issue or not