Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Putting in egress window with no french drain tile - how/where do I drain?

Old 08-04-14, 08:49 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I am putting in an egress window and I was told to dig a smaller hole down to my exterior drain tile so any water in the egress would drain into that. After digging down to 4 inches or so below my footing, I never hit gravel or a drain, so it looks like my house doesnt have an exterior drain tile (built in mid 1970's). It DOES have an interior drain tile because I have dealt with that when putting in my radon system.

My question is, how do I drain my egress?

Do I run a pipe under my footing and try to tie it in with my interior drain tile? Would that even work because would going under my footing put it too low for my interior drain?

I know another option would be to direct it away from the house (much like a buried downspout) but that isnt really a realistic option for me.

Anything else I can/should do?

Old 08-04-14, 08:52 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,262 Upvotes on 1,203 Posts
What's the soil and how far below the bottom of the window well have you already dug?

Old 08-04-14, 08:53 AM
J
One thing to mention is that I have never had any water issues in my basement. So I dont see this being a problem... but none the less I would rather do it right now when I have everything ripped out

Old 08-04-14, 08:56 AM
J
Soil is "regular" soil. No clay. A little sand, but not too sandy. Not too rocky. I have a 7 foot basement and I have dug out 5.5 feet or so with a mini - which will be around 12-16" below my window. Then I hand dug a hole around 12" in diameter another 2 feet down to get to the footer (thinking I was going to hit the french drain)

Old 08-04-14, 09:56 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Since you have an interior drain, there must be a sump and a way to get rid of the water.

The best thing is to somehow get the water from the well into the interior drain tile. Fortunately, an interior drainage system can be superior to an external drain tile system because it can be monitored. ALL drain tile systems work 24/7/365 to maintain a low subsurface water level irregardless of a big mega-storm because the surrounding soil can absorb more moisture in the case of a short term "event".

If you have an uncovered window well, you are immediately collecting the daily moisture and need a way of that water. That means that getting the well drain water into the interior of the basement where it can be disposed of. I have seen 6' wide sliding doors used for egress exits from a basement, but they usually had a slanted egress window above, but always used a collection system to get the water into a controlled system.

Too bad your geography does not allow the use of a gravity disposal from the window well pit.

Often, a good builder will install both interior and exterior drain tile (linked together) as a standard system in all homes because it is so economical to do and avoids any call-backs.

Dick

Old 08-04-14, 12:12 PM
J
Thanks for the info. If I try to run a pipe under my footing, I will probably be too low to tie in with my interior drain tile, correct?

Old 08-04-14, 02:13 PM
If the exterior drain was installed properly, you could go under the concrete footing. Interior drain tile are normally installed with the bottom of the pipe at or below the bottom of the footing.

If your exterior tile is laid higher AND you are lucky enough to have block foundation, you can link the interior and exterior. If you have poured concrete wall it will be a major problem.

Sloping pipe is not always necessary because water seeks its own level. You can go under the footing to get a route to the interior line and sump pump for discharge to who knows where.

Dick

Old 08-04-14, 05:45 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
You didn't find a french drain because there was no need for one. At the most, you need is a surface collector & a dry well outside. I don't understand & never will understand the idea of bringing water inside just to pump it out again.

Old 08-04-14, 07:35 PM
J
I dont know much about building practices over the last 50 years... I didnt know if french drains were put into use after my house was built - in other words, I didnt know if I didnt have one because they were not around yet, or I didnt need one.
Are you thinking that my 2 foot hand-dug hole along with 1+ foot of stone on top of that at the bottom of my egress would be enough? No drainage necessary? I was hoping to get away without having a cover on the egress.

I made some calls and it will cost me around $400 to excavate a trench the 30+ feet necessary to be able to put in a gravity drain out the side of the slope my house is built on. Worth it?

Old 08-04-14, 11:23 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
As long as you are digging, you can seal the foundation with membrane as if you would if it were leaking. Then add a drain & a dry well. That being said, is the goal of the egress window, to make an apartment or a bed room? Where I live, sleeping below ground is illegal, no matter what window you have. Keep that in mind.

Old 08-05-14, 06:28 AM
J
What product(s) would I use to seal it? Is there a link on here anywhere showing how to do that?

Old 08-05-14, 07:22 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
There is a membrane that comes on a roll. You expose the foundation, clean it & apply some adhesive. Then place the membrane against it horizontally, starting from the bottom, covering the footing. Overlap a second lawyer. Before you back fill throw some #8 gravel along the bottom of the hole. Install a dry well, if needed & finish the back fill.

Old 08-05-14, 07:35 AM
J
Gotcha. Do you know what brand membrane? I live near a Home Depot and Menards - would they carry it?

Old 08-05-14, 08:15 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Grace Bituthene System 4000 200 sq. ft. Waterproof Membrane and Conditioner-5003004 at The Home Depot

That's what Home Depot has. My boss used to buy it from a building supply which seems to have been larger & more heavy duty. It worked every time. A customer never called us back because the leak wasn't fixed. Be careful when you back fill. No dirt can get between the membrane & the foundation. As you back fill, install the drain & dry well if you think it's needed.

Old 08-13-14, 05:15 AM
J
Ok, I have access to a mini excavator so I am going to dig a trench 6 feet deep the 60 feet or so necessary to drain it out the side of my hill. I have never put in a french drain before, so I wanted to make sure I have the process correct.

Once dug, I am going to put 3 inches or so of gravel down (what kind of gravel? 3/4" TB? pea gravel?)

On top of that I will lay my 4" corrugated pipe with the slits in it and then cover it with more stone (how much? 6"? 12"?)

On top of that, I will back fill with dirt. Do I need to use landscape fabric in between the gravel and the dirt?

Also, in the bottom of my egress do I just run the drain pipe to the bottom of the well?
Or do I put a 90 degree elbow on the pipe and run it up the egress and put a cap on it so it is extends just past the stone at the bottom (so the cap is visible)?

Thanks

Old 08-13-14, 05:34 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I don't think all that is needed but if that's what you want to do, I would use #8 gravel. There is no need for landscaping fabric. I would avoid a 90 degree elbow.

Old 08-13-14, 07:13 PM
J
If I am not putting a 90 in the pipe and bringing it up, do I just put a cap on it and bury it right under the stone below my window?

Old 08-13-14, 08:02 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I don't understand where the cap comes in to play.

Old 08-14-14, 06:00 AM
J
Well I am going to want to plug the end of the drain pipe that is buried underneath the window so rocks and dirt dont get inside of it and clog it up, correct? If I just leave the end open, it will fill up with a bunch of crap

Old 08-14-14, 08:28 AM
S
we use basf's ' HLM 5000 ' avail @ most const supply houses,,, we also use 19mm pond liner from the apron store to protect the waterproofi HLM coating during backfill, etc,,, $400 seems cheap for the digging

Old 08-14-14, 02:31 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Under the window would be a surface collector which is basically a drain similar to what you might see at the bottom of an outside staircase. A pipe from there would direct the water to wherever you want it to go. A dry well is one choice. As I said before, I don't know if you need all that since you don't have a water problem & you are sealing the foundation anyway. However, if you feel better installing that system, don't let me stop you.

Old 08-17-14, 04:20 AM
S
when all's said & done, more's usually said than done we've got another bldg which was blt to code then retro waterproofed 5yrs ago,,, HOWEVER, since that contractor didn't provide for drainage at the btm of the bsmt wall/footer junction, all he did was create a huge drywell,,, this is the 4th condo property @ which we've seen & follow'd his ' work ',,, the only good part is we usually lose to him w/inexperienced prop mgrs the 1st time - NEVER the 2nd time

if YOU don't either have gravity drainage OR a mechanical way to remove the collected wtr, you'll have the same problem,,, remember, your backfill will NEVER reach the same compaction value as the original fill in YOUR lifetime even if you're 24yrs old

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: