upflush toilet or a sewage ejector system?

Old 08-05-14, 09:02 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question upflush toilet or a sewage ejector system?

I'm refinishing my basement and I will be putting in a kitchen with a sink, full bath with tub, and a bathroom sink.

My friend is a plumber and recommended that I install a SANIBEST Pro
http://www.saniflo.com/products/inde...ype/part/id/57. I also have a washer that my friend recommend I put in a separate small pump for.

I would love some opinions on this before I go ahead and order anything. What are some of your thoughts? upflush toilet or a sewage ejector system??

Old 08-05-14, 12:59 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 910 Votes on 838 Posts
I have no experience with an up flushing toilet but if you go with a sewage ejector system consider future maintenance needs. The Saniflo website shows their tank mounted inside the wall nice and pretty but some day it will have to be worked on. I've rented apartments where it was sitting on the floor behind the toilet and it's appearance and sound was not offensive and just sitting out in the open will be any servicing much easier.

I have a different type in my basement where the tank is below the toilet with a pump chamber behind in the wall. I made the wall behind the toilet a removable panel for servicing; pull the toilet, remove the screws and out comes the wall panel.

Old 08-05-14, 01:18 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks pilot, This unit sits right on the floor and it will be against the utility/laundry room wall so the pump will actually be in the utility laundry room for easy access.

Cost is defiantly a factor here too. This unit comes complete with toilet and grinder pump for $1,100 which seems reasonable compared to the labor and cost involved in trenching a concrete slab for an ejector system.

I have never used one of these so the more opinions I get the better. Would love to hear more opinions.

Old 08-05-14, 02:34 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 910 Votes on 838 Posts
The unit I have (shown in the picture) uses a full size septic ejector pump which pushes the price up to $800+ for the sump and pump. Because it's a massive pump it is very clog resistant but there's no hiding the fact that there's a 1/2 hp pump cycling on and off just behind the wall. You sorta feel like you're in a submarine launching a torpedo.

We rented a apartment in Amsterdam and the bathroom was in the basement and had a Saniflo taking the flow from the toilet, bathroom sink and shower. It worked well and was very unobtrusive as it cycled on and off. It could easily handle a toilet flush or the water from a shower but we did have to be careful with what went into the toilet. I guess I shouldn't say "careful" as it was more simple common sense. Poo and toilet paper were no problem but things like feminine products or a heavy duty paper towel could cause a clog. But, anything that would clog it really should not be going down the toilet anyhow.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: