Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Finished basement wall a few inches away from cement wall. OK?

Old 08-05-14, 12:59 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I live in Northeast PA and I am finishing a small room in the basement of my home that was built in 1970. Previously this room had paneling that was attached to furring strips nailed to the walls.

One wall leaks a little bit, but I'm hoping some changes I made to the downspouts, soil, and landscaping will help that. I've also filled any holes on that wall with hydraulic cement and added a layer of Drylock.

Instead of attaching the new frame (with drywall and insulation) directly to this wall, I was thinking of positioning it about 6 inches away from the wall since there is a pillar/support in one corner anyway (see attached diagram). I wondered if this would help in case the wall did leak again. Or, would it make it worse by leaving that space between the two walls? And if I did this, do I need a vapor barrier?Name:  basement.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  24.1 KB

Old 08-05-14, 07:27 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You really should make sure that the leak is fixed before you build anything. Downspouts are a good start. However, I would look for hairline cracks in the foundation & the pitch of the land.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: