Basement remodel

Old 08-05-14, 09:06 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Basement remodel

Hello-

I am tearing out my basement, my house use to belong to my uncle and he had a livable finish basement. After he died my mother, grandmother and I took over the house, in the last 23 year the basement has changed a lot. We have had flooding and as of lately I found out that outside water is coming in my house. So I need it waterproofed. I have started tearing the basement out my self, removing dry wall, plaster, walls, counter and so on.

I need to have some asbestos removed from some pipes as well, I know you are saying that I need to pay someone to do the work. I wish I could but I don't have them money to do it. The waterproofing is going to cost about 5k and I have know idea how I will come up with that. On the off chance that I do, how do I start framing the basement so that I can finish it again?

Old 08-06-14, 04:05 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Hopefully any waterproofing you plan will be accomplished from the outside. Inside water proofing proves to be a failure in most cases. What is proposed for the waterproofing? I cannot advise any other method of asbestos removal than by professionals. Are you sure it is asbestos?

Before you think of reframing the basement, make sure it is dry and stays that way. Your framing will start by installing a pressure treated bottom plate about 1" away from the wall so you can achieve a straight line. From there you can plumb a top plate along the ceiling and install your stud wall. Depending on where you are located (your profile is incomplete), there are insulation and thermal block issues that need to be addressed.

Old 08-06-14, 08:24 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I live in Detroit. MI...So your telling me that waterproofing from the inside will not help at all if I want to have a finish basement? If I do it from the outside I was getting prices like 10k I know I don't have that kind of money. I don't see me doing it myself, most people are still shocked that a female is tearing out a basement to start.

Old 08-07-14, 03:27 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
What inside methods have people quoted you on waterproofing. I am not trying to dissuade you from your dream, but it has to be done right, or all your work will have been in vain. Throwing Drylock on the wall will help with moisture, but not water. Hydraulic pressure is a formidable force and will push any interior coating off the concrete. If your quotes involve french drains, they are not stopping water, just redirecting it. Your humidity levels could feed mold. Let us know their proposals.

Old 08-07-14, 04:25 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 403 Votes on 359 Posts
I would add that the main reason asbestos insulation removal should be left to the pros is while you can protect yourself while removing the asbestos it's impossible to contain/collect all the asbestos that gets airborne [without the proper high priced equipment] and that will be a danger to anyone that inhabits the basement and possibly the rest of the house!

Old 08-07-14, 05:45 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Just to be clear, water PROOFING is done on the outside of the house, while anything that happens on the inside is water MANAGEMENT. I think that's a big difference that you should think about - your house and ultimately your call but I think you've had the impression water proofing can happen on the inside and it cannot.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: