temporary basement ceiling

Old 08-08-14, 11:21 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
temporary basement ceiling

I need suggestions for a good "temporary" ceiling for a basement room that I'm not ready to commit to drywalling the ceiling yet. It will be done eventually but for the moment I need a sound barrier until some other projects complete.

Due to low ceiling (7'4") I'd rather not drop ceiling. What other options are there? Cost and ease of install are bonuses.

Room is ~7.5'x15.5' if that matters.

Old 08-08-14, 11:43 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
My first thought is to paint it flat black but you said 'sound barrier' so I'm wondering what you need from that perspective.

Old 08-08-14, 12:03 PM
R
I don't need fancy sound barriers, like in home theaters etc... simply that this room is right below the living room, a just-starting-college nephew will be staying in it temporarily until another space is finished... we have already discovered you can hear his music very clearly transducted through the open vents and floor. Basically just privacy.

Old 08-08-14, 12:15 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
How do you propose to keep something like Roxul in place if you're not drywalling the ceiling yet?

Additionally, all the insulation in the world in the ceiling won't do any good if the vents are conducting the sound as well.

Might be best to ask him to switch to headphones.

Old 08-08-14, 12:51 PM
R
I'm sorry, I think you are overthinking my problem. Let me clarify.
I wasn't proposing adding Roxul or anything fancy up between the joists.
Were it not temporary, I would just run 1x4 sleepers, then regular drywall. Or, maybe resilient clips for isolation, the drywall (this is the plan in another room).

I'm fairly certain the transmission we hear now happens (1) by conduction through the uncovered metal duct, which is currently open in the ceiling (e.g. conductive wire effect) and (2) around the bottom of the registers. The ceiling would attenuate that.

BTW, you can easily hold Roxul or other insulation in place w/ metal rods spanning the joists, or even staples...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: