Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Proper way to frame an outside wall when it lands between a joist?

Proper way to frame an outside wall when it lands between a joist?

Old 08-08-14, 07:35 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Proper way to frame an outside wall when it lands between a joist?

What is the proper way to frame an outside wall when it lands between a joist in a basement?

Old 08-08-14, 09:32 PM
R
Its fun...
use 2x4s to make cribbing that runs perpendicular to the last joist, with the wide side down, every 16" or so. You can nail/screw one end of each piece through the last joist, and the board will sit flat on top of the sill plate. If you're lucky, you'll have enough room to each up there and screw it in from the top down... otherwise you may have to use brackets against the rim joist to secure the far end of the slats.
Once you have those slats, nail your top plat of the wall against them.

Old 08-08-14, 09:45 PM
R
Thanks RatLabGuy, but with this being an outside wall how do I support the wall side of the 2x4?

Old 08-09-14, 03:35 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
You nail/screw it to the sill plate. The sill plate is level with the bottom of your joists. Your top plate for the wall you are building will butt against the row of 2x4's you install.

Old 08-09-14, 05:27 PM
R
Thanks again chandler. If I have to fire block the wall will this be something I can do under these cross beam 2x4s?

I guess i'm wondering if i can build the wall first without having to worry about having to tear something out. The wall will be one straight shot from the floor to the joist ( no sill ).

Oh and its all insulated with r7. I'm guessing that will have to be redone with r13 or something??

I attached a photo so you can see the layout of where the walls are going.

Name:  20140808_181739.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  30.5 KB

Old 08-09-14, 07:39 PM
R
Maybe its just late, but I'm confused.
Your pic looks like a wall is already in place - is this just an example that's already done?

R: insulation, ideally you'd want to replace the fiberglass with rigid foam or spray closed cell foam, much higher R plus blocks air flow.

Also, what is behind that fiberglass batting? I'm hoping some kind of good vapor barrier.

Old 08-09-14, 10:54 PM
R
Its probably just the picture angle. The walls you're seeing are the outside walls sitting on top of the protruding concrete slab. Does that make sense?

Thanks for the tip on the insulation. Is the rigid foam much more expensive?

About the vapor barrier, do I need to wrap the concrete in something before I put up the wall??

I plan on starting the framing tomorrow so I want to be sure I have all my ducks in a row.

Old 08-10-14, 03:04 AM
So you are going to reframe the wall, floor to ceiling rather than build a knee wall with a shelf?

Old 08-10-14, 06:36 AM
R
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
So you are going to reframe the wall, floor to ceiling rather than build a knee wall with a shelf?
Yes, In the bathroom I'm going to go floor to ceiling. I think it will look better seeing there are no windows to worry about and it gives me the ability to run my gravity pipes to my up flush through the walls.

I may do a couple small recessed built ins. Keeping in mind I have to hide a gravity drain that goes to the upflush (located behind the toilet in the picture) from the vanity sink (That will be where the tub is in the picture) Also, I would have to run the soffit throughout the far two corner walls for the gravity drain from the up flush to the sewer.

Do you think I should try to incorporate the knee wall and shelf instead??

Last edited by rufunky; 08-10-14 at 09:35 AM.
Old 08-10-14, 11:24 AM
I would at least incorporate cubbies in the wall, sort of semi shelving units, etc. Use the space that you have left over, at least. I hate wasted space.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: