Flooring for basement room

Old 08-10-14, 04:53 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Flooring for basement room

I have a 9x15 room in my basement. I pulled up some musty carpet and carpet tack. Underneath is some linoleium tiles circa 1960's. They are flat for the most part but they pop right up with a little tap of my prybar. I didn't pull them up yet as underneath is black dried material that they were glued down with, there is no adhesion left. I was hoping it was clean concrete under there but no luck.

Anyway this room has no covered ceiling and I just needed a practical floor to put in there. I plan to use the room to store my tools and work stuff. The electrical panel is in there and its sort of an "electrical room" as it is now.

I haven't lived here long enough to know what the water/seepage issue may be in the basement. But I do see some evidence of water on these old tiles.

What would be a cost effective but yet durable solution?

Old 08-10-14, 07:17 PM
T
Interlocking rubber gym matt. Inexpensive, durable and insulates nicely. I use it in my basement and it works great. Available at lowes or depot take your pick.

Old 08-10-14, 07:55 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
If you prefer, rubberized flooring also comes on a roll.

Old 08-11-14, 11:23 AM
C
That's one idea or just getting tiles again.

In either case, should bother pulling up the old tiles and getting down to the gunk under it or just go over the top? It appears the old tiles are 40 years old and have taken water perhaps.

What would I have to do to prep the floor for the new flooring if I take the old stuff out?

PS- I have no idea yet of how well the basement acts in regards to seapage. The old tiles appear to have gotten it. So the new flooring will have to stand up to seepage and if damaged, be cost effective enough to easily rip out and replace.

Old 08-11-14, 11:37 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Tile or something removable, like the aforementioned rubber mats would be my choice.

Where's the water coming from? If at all possible, this needs to be resolved first.

Old 08-11-14, 01:20 PM
C
I pulled up all the old tile this afternoon. It was pretty musty. I would be happy to keep it bare concrete. Unfortunetly its black from the glue or whatever it is that was holding the tiles.

After 40 years the tile came up like nothing. A quick swipe of a prybar and rows were popping off!!

So what about a paint option? That is, with that black crap still on the floor? Like that garage coating stuff that you sprinkle the granules on?

Old 08-11-14, 01:42 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Figure out where the water is coming from - if it's from below the slab, paint will fail in short order.

Old 08-11-14, 02:51 PM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
there may also be asbestos in the mastic

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: