Chimney Cleanout Leaking

Old 08-13-14, 05:15 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Chimney Cleanout Leaking

Hi, I recently finished my finished basement - I had been watching the basement for a year before taking on the task and had managed some small leaks, landscaped, and added downspout extensions to 5 feet from the foundation. Anyway the day after I put the floor in we had some heavy rain and over 8 gallons of water entered the basement - seemingly through the chimney cleanout (I have an oil burner - see below) - fortunately the one area that is not finished. Everything thing else seems OK.

Now with that much water getting in it seems to me that it is coming in from around the foundation of the chimney? The chimney is situated high on the roof and I can't see how that much water could have gotten in the top even with heavy rain.

Should I dig around the outside of the chimney, and attempt repair as outlined here?
How to Repair a Foundation Leak | DoItYourself.com
Or am I on the wrong track?

Name:  photo 1.jpg
Views: 925
Size:  40.5 KBName:  photo 2.jpg
Views: 1571
Size:  33.8 KBName:  photo 3.jpg
Views: 780
Size:  46.3 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-14, 04:35 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 178 Votes on 158 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Have you inspected the exterior of the chimney for any cracks? Did you have standing water near the chimney during the rain? Check the easy stuff first pics of the exterior might be helpful.

Old 08-19-14, 11:14 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
wow, that's a TERRIFIC article except for a problem - what happens to the wtr that's running down against your bsmt wall's exterior ? its got to go somewhere,,, absent a gravity drain OR mechanical way to evacuate the water, you'll hopefully have stopped the leak but created a drywell against your bsmt's wall not good